Menu
bananamobile
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

new sim card text confusion

Hi. 

I got a text on my PAYG mobile saying we need to send you a new sim. I tried to phone the 789 number but it is not working because of coronavirus. My phone with the current sim has been working just fine. I could not get onto the website because I can't remember what my security question and answer are. Any advice? Can I just ignore this? Mobile has been working fine so far or will it cut out unless I get a new sim. I have no idea if Virgin Mobile have my address details as I have had my PAYG for about 20 years and I am not sure I even necessarily want to give them out.

Thank you

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: new sim card text confusion

I'll ask the team to contact you.

Yes, the old SIM will stop working if you don't change 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

it will stop working quite soon if you don't get a new sim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi. bananamobile

Thanks for the message and we are sorry to hear that you are getting texts to change the sim, we can confirm that if it is not changed the sim will stop working. I will send you a private message so that this can be looked into and resolved. We will send you a secure private message to look in to this for you. 

Chris 

0 Kudos
Eloise1
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I also received the message but thought it was phishing so I reported it to action fraud.

Why would Virgin do this to customers with no warning and no explanation on their website at a time when they have no functional helpline? 

What is the reason for the new SIM (I've had the same one for 12 years for a PAYG phone... What is the deadline for sorting this out?

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Eliose1, 

Thanks for joining in on the conversation, I'll be happy to help explain things for you. 

Over the past couple of years we have been going through a SIM network migration, before we were using EE's network but with the new network we have a lot more control. So we're sending out new purple SIM's and asking customers to switch over, if the text/email you received has a date for this then please make sure you switch before this. 

Can I ask when the message said that you received please?

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Eloise1
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. They sent a text with a link and another text from 789445 - honestly I don't think this is good practice. Then I tried to contact 789 but no helpline in place so no joy. 

My phone is not a smartphone so I can't click on links (this is a phone I use for emergencies) 

There is nothing on the text message that indicates there is a deadline and I am about to go abroad. I never registered my number online but it seems I have to do this. My PAYG SIM is old and I don't want to be charged differently. Nor do I want to lose the phone number, as several older relatives have it!  

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Eloise1,

I am sorry you feel unhappy with this process, thank you for your feedback on this. 

You have nothing to worry about in terms of anything changing, when we send out a new SIM card your number stays the same as well as your tariff so your bills will stay the same. The only time your bill changes is when you change your tariff yourself or there is an annual Price Increase which happens around March each year. 

If you would like me to have a look at your account and see if we can can the migration completed for you? 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
CFM123
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan,

Thank you for your email.

I need your help. After sending countless text messages, which I was unable to respond to because I am abroad and it is not possible to respond to Virgin's text while abroad. Virgin Mobile provided no other way for me to get in touch. 

i have now received a text message letting me know that Virgin is sending the new SIM. Where is it being sent??? I can only assume that it will be sent to my old address of 12 years ago as VIrgin has not enabled me to text them my new postcode. This is a major security risk as someone else could access my number. I may have to complain again to Ofcom.

Besides, I will be returning home to London tomorrow. I will be in quarantine and thanks to Virgin expecting a disconnection of my phone service because of this shambolic process. I am really angry about this. And also hugely concerned that I will be without a phone and therefore unable to call emergency services should I need to.

I don't know how to send a private message to you on this forum.

Regards

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi CFM123, 

Sorry to hear that you're still having an issue regarding our new SIM cards. 

I can appreciate as you're abroad it's frustrating and you need to know where the new SIM is going. 

I'm going to pop you a personal message now and we can get to the bottom of this. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos