Menu
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

new purple sim draining battery??

OK, so, have had the purple sim for a while now, and have noticed that it drains my phone battery twice as fast as the old red one did..

Absolutely nothing has changed apart from the sim. Same apps, roughly same useage phone and text wise, and internet, yet battery is less than half the life of before?? Notice that phone also has a bar or two less signal with purple sim, than it did with red one, (from same locations), so possibly battery draining trying to keep signal??

Bit concerting that phone now struggles to last the working day, whereas before it was  around 50% battery at the end of the day, now, it's like 20%!!!!

Anyone else had this problem??

Phone is a nokia 7plus, and is around a year old, so battery should still be good..

Strangely, if I swap the sim for my spare phones '3' sim, the battery goes back to lasting all day, and the purple sim eats my spare phone battery?? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: new purple sim draining battery??

Hi HughJarsse, thanks for getting in touch. 

Sorry to hear you've had a problem with your handsets battery-life since the SIM was swapped. It's not a problem I'm aware of personally and checking with mobile colleagues they're not aware of issues with the purple SIMs using more power than others either. 

If you like we could try a SIM replacement in-case there's a problem with your SIM specifically, just get back to me via PM and we'll take it from there.

Tom 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me so we can try a replacement SIM - please let us know how you get on with the new one when you can.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom-F

Have dropped you a PM, regarding new sim....

Regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK, so.....replaced the 'possible problem' sim with the 'new' replacement this morning (8 am)  now 7:30 pm, and......guess what..........'emergency calls only' since 8 am, despite a restart, and a complete shut down, wait 5 mins then and power up...nothing...............nil..........nought..............zero..........zilch.........

so instead of a 'possible' problem, (battery drain) now have a 'definate' problem, (no connection!!)

Why, oh WHY, do VM make simple things like changing a sim an absolute nightmare....all day now with no phone, the one thing I was concerned about, (having read the horror stories on here) was losing the phone, as need it to keep in contact with family, as there is an emergency. (fortunately, have a PAYG on '3' so have had to let everyone know the spare number instead!!) (Hey VM, the OTP problem isn't fixed either, (9 weeks now!!) that's the reason I have the PAYG phone, as VM sims don't let you have the OTP from the bank/building society!!) 

This problem means I have had problems with EVERY one of the 5 phones that we have with VM, and this wretched sim swap, and has meant 2 new phones out of the 5, and the other 3 caused no end of problems....

Beginning to wonder if it's worth swapping everything to '3', as they seem much more 'reliable' and their customer support is 1000 times better than what passes for VM's 'customer support' that's for sure...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So, have resorted to putting the original sim back in, and...........'emergency calls only'..................so now, NEITHER SIM WORKS...

So now no phone at all......................

Thanks for NOTHING VM..................

First thing Monday, '3' will be getting a call to supply 5 new sims, and VM a request for 5 PAC codes............

Can't text/call or anything on my VM phone.......

VM make life absolute HELL,  and have the cheek to actually CHARGE you for doing so................😫

Exit one disgruntled customer!!!!!!!!!!  WELL DONE VM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry about the problems with your SIM replacement, as you've tried rebooting etc I'm hoping it was just a case of taking longer than usual to complete the activation. 

Please keep us posted with how things are this morning.

Tom 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

For comparison I received a replacement SIM from Vodafone. It came with a Web link to a form. Completed same and we were up and running in 5 minutes.

Why do Virgin make it difficult 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm happy to hear it's working now though @HughJarsse thanks for the update via PM.

It's certainly longer than usual and far from ideal I can appreciate that - unfortunately that's why we always have to advise 24hrs for any network changes to occur. 

Please keep us posted with how you get on with the new SIM hopefully it resolves the problem raised initially.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom,

Bit of a mixed bag now...still draining the battery, even with new sim, but...now noticed that it's only when I am away from home, and not running on wi-fi.

When indoors or within wi-fi range, battery seems OK, even when making calls and texting, and using internet, phone stays cold, and battery drops very slowly.

Go away from the wi-fi connection, and slowly, the phone gets warm, and the battery starts to drop, even if idle?? Almost if using data and trying to keep connected is taking more power than usual??

As originally mentioned, these purple sim's seem to have a lower signal than the old red one?? I used to get the full 5 bars around here, yet now, with the purple ones, it's usually 3 sometimes 4, so possible the phone is using more battery trying to keep a signal perhaps??

Not sure, but seems strange this has only happened with the purple sim, and, if I put my spare '3' sim into the phone instead, there's no battery drain at all, and phone stays cool..

Seems to do with signal strength to me, as with '3' sim, get a full day out of battery, but with purple, hardly half a day, even when phone is idle?? 

0 Kudos