Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

new SIm card not working

Hi, i recently received a new sim card for my mobile phone. The card does not work (invalid sim) and after a couple of calls to customer service it appears my phone is locked to the EE network.

I've also received an email Saturday 27/0620 and a text message on Friday 26/06/20 saying my service will be discontinued in 10 days from then.

This morning 28/06/20 my service has been cut off and I have no way of calling 789 to talk or cancel my contract (sim only).

Would anyone have any idea how I can cancel the new sim that I didn't ask for. The cancel contract page seems to be based on text or a phone call to 789 neither of which I now have access to.

Thanks very much,

Frank.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: new SIm card not working

Bad news is you can't cancel the SIM swap it is now mandatory. Sounds like the new SIM has been activated and the old one turned off.

What phone do you have that is locked?

Can you remember where bought

Are you on contract or PAYG?

The only number I have that you can call from another phone is 0345 6000 789

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for the swift response.
The phone is a Samsung S5 that up until now worked perfectly. My son got a new phone and gave me it about 4 years ago but neither of us realised it was locked at all as the Virgin sim worked straight away, no hiccups.
The sim only deal I have is around 8/10 years old and I pay £8.45 each month.
Yesterday I was on the phone to 789 and they activated the new sim but neither sim will now work. I was hoping the 10 day period would give me time to sorted but unfortunately it seems like I've been locked out as from today
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The phone will be locked to EE. If it was bought from them then they may be able to unlock it. Failing that the 2 options would be.

1. Replace the phone

2. Move to another network that uses EE As you are paying £8.45 per month you could see what ASDA or PusNet are offering for around that price. Both will work in an locked EE phone 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes the customer service lady suggested I buy a new phone but to be honest this one is fine for what I need it for. I'll look into a fresh sim from another supplier, Asda, Plusnet etc.
It just seems to me that Virgin were supplying petrol for my petrol car but are now supplying diesel and expect me to change car to use their new fuel.
I don't have access to another phone at the moment and can't use the one I have to contact them.
Would you know if I can cancel my sim contract via email?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin don't do email.

What I would do if you want to move and keep your number is get a PAC code from Virgin, if not a STAC code. 

You give one of those codes to your new supplier and they do the rest and your Virgin account closes.

If you have an accessible online account you can do it from there otherwise 0345 6000 789 from a non Virgin phone

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-how-do-i-cancel-my-contract

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that enlli.

Yes I've got access to my Virgin account but I can't text for a PAC or STAC as they've locked me out of service and my phone no longer works at all.

I'm a little bit disappointed as they said I had 10 days to sort this issue out but now I'm left with no other option but registering with a new supplier, Asda, Plusnet etc so I can call Virgin to cancel my contract.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I can get the PAC or STAC online thanks.
It's such a shame I'll be charged for a months service that I can't use but I suppose I'll just have to put it down to experience and move on.
Thanks for all your help.
Cheers, Frank.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

In your online account under Profile their should be a section marked switching 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yep, I've done that thanks. The PAC/ STAC appears on the screen when requested.
It's just a case of swapping over to another supplier or trying to see if the handset can be unlocked.
My son doesn't remember ever having an EE account so I'm not sure if we can go down that route.
He originally bought it thinking it wasn't locked to any provider but that appears not to have been the case.
I'll try and borrow one of the neighbours phones tomorrow so I can give him a ring and find out what I can do.
Thanks again,
Frank.
0 Kudos