Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

new SIM not valid and old SIM card registration failed

I have been a Virgin Mobile customer since 2006 as a Pay As You Go customer and have bought three phones from Virgin, the most recent is a Nokia1616.  I am elderly and need my phone for contacting relatives.

Unsolicited SIM card received a couple of weeks ago but installing the new card got SIM not Valid message.

Googling the problem, which many are experiencing, I suspected that I need to unlock the phone. I requested a code via https://www.virginmedia.com/help/unlock-code-request1,  but received no response except texts with a URL requesting security info. I have no internet on this phone so had to input the URLs on my PC and they kept coming up as invalid.  I responded to the texts to keep the dialogue going and yesterday I spent nearly an hour trying to get an unlock code for my phone with someone at Virgin sending me text messages with very long URLs although I do not internet access on my mobile phone so had to re-input them on my PC.  After passing many security questions I was told that I do not need to unlock the phone but they noticed that the new SIM was not activated and said that they would activate the new SIM which can take up to 24 hours to achieve.  They assured me that my phone would then work with the new SIM!

I waited 24 hours inserted new SIM and again “SIM not valid”.  Replaced the old SIM, which had been working, and get “SIM card registration failed”.

So now I have a non-operational phone!  Does Virgin need to send me an unlock code or a new phone to get me connected again?

Please help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: new SIM not valid and old SIM card registration failed

Hello Gulpx2

I also HAD a Nokia 1616 with a Virgin Mobile SIM.  My experience was similar except that I requested a replacement SIM.  What Virgin did not say was that the OLD card which they voided was 2G as is the 1616.  They would not unlock the phone so I could go to a new provider.  

Now their provided SIMs are 3G and above.  My much loved 1616 (a lovely loved small and pocketable blue phone) was as good as a brick.

I am sorry to say I think you have been put in a similar predicament.

I have used the new SIM in an old unused iPhone 4 so I can still use the number and the Simply 8 tariff.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@DrawnClaws wrote:

Hello Gulpx2

I also HAD a Nokia 1616 with a Virgin Mobile SIM.  My experience was similar except that I requested a replacement SIM.  What Virgin did not say was that the OLD card which they voided was 2G as is the 1616.  They would not unlock the phone so I could go to a new provider.  

Now their provided SIMs are 3G and above.  My much loved 1616 (a lovely loved small and pocketable blue phone) was as good as a brick.

I have used the new SIM in an old unused iPhone 4 so I can still use the number and the Simply 8 tatariff.

The new SIM card WILL work in 2G only phones, so someone wasn't being quite honest. People have been buying cheap 2G only phones and running them with no problems whatsoever 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon GLPGLP,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you

Sorry to see you've been struggling with your handset and our new SIM cards.

If you have indeed purchased your handset from Virgin Media, we can seek to get an unlock code for you.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a PM from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It took some days interacting with Virgin to obtain the unlock code. They initially couldn't find the details of my Nokia 1616 phone although I bought it from them.

I then followed the instructions suggested by user enlli in the post https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/SIM-not-valid/td-p/4345929/page/2

How to enter code for NOKIA 1616:

1. Switch ON your NOKIA 1616 without SIM Card,
  2. Compose #PW+CODE+1# (If that does not work replace+1# with +7#),
  3. The phone show "SIM Restriction Off" and is unlocked.
  • The letter P appear after press 3 times quickly the button star (*)
  • The letter W appear after press 4 times quickly the button star (*)
  • The letter + appear after press 2 times quickly the button star (*)

Using #PW+938176190580490 +1# gave “code error” but #PW+CODE+7# worked for me with a message "phone restriction off" and my phone is now operational again.

0 Kudos