Menu
judybr
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

new SIM - Pac request doesn't work

Like many others I have  new SIMs for  the 3 phones on my VM account. Two phones are fine and work with the new SIMs but the 3rd is an old Nokia and the SIM doesn't work even when entering the unlock code (why is this in such faint numbers on the red card - ridiculous). PAC request fails with the very irritating 'oops' message.

Is my only option to ditch the phone and buy a new one? I would like to keep my old number hence the PAC request.

VM should do more to help!

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: new SIM - Pac request doesn't work

How are you entering the unlock code.

For most old Nokia phones it has to be done this way

Remove SIM card
Type in #pw+CODE+7#.
If +7# does not work use +1#

1. To show p in the phones display - just press * three times within two seconds.

2. To show w in the phones display - just press * four times within two seconds.

3. To show + in the phones display - just press * twice within two seconds.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

judybr
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have tried that.

0 Kudos
joepass
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I don't think the faintly-printed number on the SIM card is the one you need to unlock the phone if it is network-locked. The number on the card is the 8-digit PUK which is used to unblock the SIM after entering the wrong PIN several times.

The network unlock code would have been contained in the letter sent by VM.  VM may be able to supply an unlock code if one wasn't included in the letter, but it seems that unlocking old phones is rather hit-or-miss.

You only need a PAC code if moving from Virgin to another network. In principle, you should be able to put the third SIM into a new network-unlocked phone and it should 'just work' with your old number

Some people have managed to get VM to supply a replacement basic phone free of charge, so that's an option too

joe

0 Kudos
judybr
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Joe

Trouble is that VM are uncontactable so getting a new phone out of them is not an option I guess.

My husband (whose phone it is) really likes his phone and is v disappointed with VM.
I am going to the phone shop tomorrow to see what they say, they are usually extremely helpful.

It's really annoying that we can't just carry on as before.

0 Kudos
judybr
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

After private messages from VM I was finally given the unlock code and it worked! Thank you Lisa_CC.

I never did get a response to the online form asking for the code.

I suggest others in the same situation (my phone was a Nokia 1200) ask for individual help too. It seems to be the only way, very inefficient though. Good luck!

0 Kudos
ITroubled
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much this worked and was easy to understand how to do it.

why dont virgin know this

0 Kudos