Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

mobile signal

My 4G signal at home is very poor, a consistent -120. If I use the signal checker, it says I am receiving an excellent signal; this is not true and despite several complaints, no-one really seems to care. Can I find out if there is a problem in my area DE7 8?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: mobile signal

Try the OFCOM Checker for your location

Remember Virgin use EE for signal, with the proviso they do not have access to 800Mhz which gives better indoor penetration.

I live in a supposedly good area but indoor coverage is dire on EE and 3 who use the same mast

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Mobile signal checkers are usually overly optimistic, and most (VM included) reference outdoor signal coverage.  Indoor signals are always worse, particularly in older buildings with thick solid walls, and newer properties that use copious amounts of foil-coated insulation in their construction.

Hopefully it is a local short term issue, but unless the signal was great and recently stopped being great then you may be stuck with the signal strength you're seeing.  

You can buy mobile signal boosters, but the ones that work are expensive (£300-500), they aren't simple to install, and you need to be careful to make sure you buy one that's legal to use in the UK market (many are not legal to use, but are still offered for sale online).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

This is the site for checking temporary problems

Worth bookmarking for future use.

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

As others have pointed out, Virgin isn't a network operator in their own right but are a virtual provider who piggyback on (currently) EE coverage - with limitations.

Assuming these coverage issues have always been present (as opposed to a short term fault), it may be worthwhile asking friends and relations on other EE MVNOs (PlusNet & Asda Mobile are the most obvious) or EE PAYG, to see if they have issues in the same locations.

Anyone on EE monthly with a phone ~2years old will probably have access to additional 4G coverage which can skew any testing, the coverage checkers should allow for this so please make sure you're using the Virgin Mobile website for checks. Others have mentioned the Ofcom website, this is a very good one to compare networks - and is generally pretty accurate in my experience. Using a few sample postcodes I'm pretty certain this doesn't show the additional 4G coverage, so will be accurate for piggyback providers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What's the 3g and 2g signal like? 

Hopefully you have broadband at home, so don't need to rely on 4g for data at home. 

I'm always on 2g at home for calls, by far my strongest signal. 

By the way, I've always had a good 4g signal in Ilkeston, but that's outdoors. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

My 4G signal is fine in other areas, but it is rubbish at home. 3G is slightly better, but not much. I think I am going to have to move to another network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi tonyxm,

Sorry to hear that the 4G signal is less than satisfactory at your home. Has it always been like this or just happened recently?

Did you check the EE checker to see if there are any outages in your area in case of the local masts are down?

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa, It's been like it for months. I have complained to Virgin and EE, but no one can tell me what's happening. I have tried all the suggestions,but the only way I get a decent signal is if I put a Vodafone or O2 sim in my phone. The Ofcom checker shows poor signal, while the EE shows excellent.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

It's probably not going to alter the end result, but FYI you can't take the EE coverage checker as a guide to VM service. VM have their own checker which you need to be using...

https://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/our-mobile-network/coverage-checker.html

0 Kudos