cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mobile number

4M
Joining in

I received a call on my mobile and the number displayed was my own mobile number.  How is this possible? I didn't answer it but am worried someone is using my number, are Virgin able to check this or advise what to do please. Shortly after I received another call and the number was virtually the same except for the second to last digit.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Spoofed numbers. There is a scam going round where the spoofing software replicates numbers near to the one they are calling. In the first case the software got it wrong and hit on yours.

I got one yesterday very near to my Vodafone numbers and a week ago my partner got one very near to her EE number.

At this stage nothing Virgin can do. However, the telecoms industry is working on a solution that should work across all mobile and landline networks

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Spoofed numbers. There is a scam going round where the spoofing software replicates numbers near to the one they are calling. In the first case the software got it wrong and hit on yours.

I got one yesterday very near to my Vodafone numbers and a week ago my partner got one very near to her EE number.

At this stage nothing Virgin can do. However, the telecoms industry is working on a solution that should work across all mobile and landline networks

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks