Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

mobile network not available for voice calls in East London?

For the last 24 hours I have been unable to make or receive calls, or call voicemail (I keep getting notifications that voicemails are waiting).  Also text messages are very slow to come through (I purchased something yesterday that required an OTP code to be added and the text containing this took 20 minutes to arrive - this is usually almost instant).  I also sent myself a text message which took around 20-30 minutes to come back to me.

I recently replaced my sim card with the new one that Virgin Mobile sent me, and followed the instructions to install this. This was several weeks ago.  I received a call on 12 June okay and text messages were still working fine on 20 June.

Now all I am getting is the message 'mobile network not available for voice calls'.

I can use wifi and data okay.  Why can't I make and receive calls and text messages?   The sim is recognised and all of my previous messages and call history are visible.

I've checked the EE service checker and it says 'we are aware of a problem with this site'.  I live in East London, so I hardly think signal coverage should be an issue?

What is the problem that EE are aware of, and when is it going to be fixed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: mobile network not available for voice calls in East London?

Here is the EE status checker

As it is voice calls the problem could be 3G as calls have to drop back from 4G on Virgin

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

As per my original message - I've already checked the EE service checker....it tells me there's a problem, which I already know because I can't call anyone or receive calls.

Not really much help to be told there's a problem but no idea what it is or how long it will go on for.

What am I paying for on my tariff?  Unlimited calls in an area where I can't actually make any?  I live in East London - I can't imagine there is a shortage of signal masts and I've never had a problem with calls until yesterday.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You can register for updates on the EE site. It may be a fault other than the masts.

Virgin will only have the information supplied to them by EE

If you are not happy then you can use the official complaints procedure on their website.

Depending on your phone you may be able to switch it to 2G for calls and text, using WiFi for data. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos