Menu
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: locked handset

Most likely locked to EE then. I assume the newer Virgin SIM works in something else.

This came up frequently when the SIM cards were first swapped. For some old Nokia phones codes were not available as Nokia today are a totally different company as is EE for those locked to T-Mobile.

If Virgin can't unlock usually, these phone stores that advertise unlocking have software to get past the lock for a small fee.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us @luusac.

As mentioned by @enlli this suggests the handset may be tied to EE instead. 

As we only provided the sim to the phone, we won't be able to unlock this for you.

It would be best to try contacting EE, the manufacturer of the phone, or a phone shop who is able to unlock devices.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Phone shop is the best option.

EE won't do it as it was locked by Virgin originally, even if that was to EE (T-Mobile)

Nokia who made that phone is defunct, having changed hands twice. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your great advice @enlli 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Akua_A 

It's just that I've been round this scenario for more years than I wish to remember. With older handsets there is always a back history due to the vast changes over the past 10 years.

0 Kudos
luusac
Tuning in
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I did get advice that the handset is difficult to unlock as it uses a different algorithm (ASIC-11) to most of the Nokia phones of that generation and a lot of unlocking websites say that they can't unlock that model, and refer to back to Virgin.

Thank you for your answers.  I am a bit confused, which is the most likely operator that the phone is locked to T Mobile or EE (it will be quite an old handset now, but looks hardly used).

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@luusac wrote:

I did get advice that the handset is difficult to unlock as it uses a different algorithm (ASIC-11) to most of the Nokia phones of that generation and a lot of unlocking websites say that they can't unlock that model, and refer to back to Virgin.

Thank you for your answers.  I am a bit confused, which is the most likely operator that the phone is locked to T Mobile or EE (it will be quite an old handset now, but looks hardly used).

Virgin have no network of their own. They started off using signal from T-Mobile. Eventually TMobile and Orange merged, out of that merger we got EE. Depending on the age of the phone it can be one or the other. T-Mobile locked handsets continued to work on EE and MNVO networks that used EE signal.