cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone reading number from sim card rather than pulling the migrated number that I ported from GiffGaff

grinningblonde
Tuning in

I changed networks in April and have issues with iMessage and Facetime not recognising my migrated number from GiffGaff. I get an error message requesting that I re-insert the sim card to use my number rather than the temporary sim number.
I have been through Apple Support to check for any hardware/software issues, and it seems that the migration hasn't been fully completed to enable my phone number to come through and be used on the phone. 
Please advise how I can sort this out so my contact details return to my preferred (and ported) number.
Thanks. 

13 REPLIES 13

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi grinningblonde,

Thank you for your post, welcome to the Community Forums!

I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues with your mobile phone after migrating your number. 

I'd assume that the guys at Apple would have checked this, but just incase, have you checked your phone settings to ensure that your number is showing correctly from there? You just need to go to Settings > Phone and ensure your number is correct in the box.

Secondly, have you tried calling your ported number from another phone to see if the call comes through without any issues? If normal calls and SMS messages are coming through without issues, it sounds like it may be an issue with your Apple ID, if it is just iMessage and Facetime calls.

Thanks

Beth

Hi Beth,

Yes, we went through those actions with Apple Support. The phone number showing as 'My Number' is that of the Virgin sim and not my ported number. I have tried to change it a couple of times, and it reverts to the virgin sim number.

Phone calls are coming through to my ported number.

We went through all hard and software options on the call with the Senior Support team at Apple, and there are no issues on the Apple ID side. They suggested (having worked on the migration side of things) that it hasn't been completed fully, causing the issues. 

My partner changes network providers at exactly the same time as me and has the same issues. 

Thanks 

grinningblonde
Tuning in

I am getting a notification asking me to reinsert the SIM to keep using my ported number for iMessage and FaceTime. 

Hi grinningblonde,

Thanks for getting back to me with further details about the issue.

Can you please both attempt the below steps for me and let me know if this helps?

• Go to: Settings > Messages, turn off iMessage
  • Settings > FaceTime, turn off FaceTime
  • Restart the phone
  • Settings > Messages, turn ON iMessage, SMS, MMS
  • Settings > FaceTime, turn ON FaceTime

Thank you,

Beth

grinningblonde
Tuning in

Hi Beth,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have done this three times and manually attempted to change the information. I also signed out of Apple ID and signed back in again to no avail. I am still left with:

You can be reached at *temporary number* and *email address*

The number for Phone > My Number remains as the temporary sim number and not my ported number. 

Thanks

Hi grinningblonde,

Thanks for already giving it a go. 

You should be able to change that number to the number you wanted to keep. Are you unable to edit this in your settings?

Thanks

Beth

grinningblonde
Tuning in

Hi Beth,

I have managed to edit it to my number in:
Settings > Apple ID  > Name, Phone Numbers, Email 

But when I edit it under Settings > Phone > My Number, when I press save and exit, it reverts to the temporary Virgin sim number. I have tried a few times with restarting my phone between too. 

Thanks

grinningblonde
Tuning in

Good morning, Beth,

Just checking in as I haven't heard from you since yesterday morning.

Hoping we can work out what is going on with things so that I can get using iMessage and Facetime with my own number again.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks!

Hi grinningblonde,

Do you perhaps have another non-Apple device which you can test your SIM in? I appreciate there's a likelihood that you don't, however if the SIM functioned normally in another device, this would indicate an issue with Apple. 

If you are able to send/receive texts and calls as normal using your ported number, it would suggest that the port has completely successfully. 

Also, when you try and change the number in your settings (where it reverts back to your temporary number) have you tried entering it in the '07' format, rather than '+44'?

Thanks

Beth