Menu
mwarby
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

iPhone Wi-Fi calling SMS sending issue

I have an IPhone XR and can turn on Wi-Fi calling which generally works well.

However often when I send an SMS I get a warning later that this wasn’t able to be sent. I first saw this when opting out of virgin mobile promotional messages. It seems the message does get through, as the opt out confirmation message is received. The problem is that the phone sent the message 3 times, and still believe it wasn’t delivered

This isn’t a huge problem for automatic texts, but when texting a human this doesn’t look good

Has anyone else had this issue, and perhaps found a workaround?

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: iPhone Wi-Fi calling SMS sending issue

Hi mwarby, 

Thank you for your post. 

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. First thoughts I had was that the WiFi signal wouldn't be strong enough so when it is picking up range it is trying to send the SIM, ending in it being sent multiple times. How often does this happen? 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos
mwarby
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It happens every time, WiFi coverage isn’t a problem, at least once it was within the same room as the router

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that. Just to confirm as well everything else on WiFi calling seems to be working fine? 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos
mwarby
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes it was working fine other than that, but I’ve switched it off a week or 2 ago due to this

0 Kudos
ps2mint
Dialled in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There’s issues with texts over WiFi with WiFi calling. I had to leave Virgin as a result of this issue. I have an iPhone 11 and my wife has an Android and both phones would not be able to receive texts via WiFi calling. OTP passwords for banks etc failed to come through immediately and it sometimes took 12 hours for them to arrive!

Nobody at Virgin is willing to admit that there is an issue so leaving was my only option!

Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Really sorry about that Ps2mint, it's disappointing you've decided to leave us due to this. 

It has been fedback and it is something we're looking into. 

If you do need anything else please let us know. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
alecf1
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

hi, any update in a fix for this? have his on iphone 7 ios 14. seems i will need to leave wi-fi calling disabled and only enable it when really need it for calls, else will not get website verification codes. 

i suspect there are loads others out there who don’t realise they have this issue.  it was very annoying.

0 Kudos
alecf1
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Rang VM today re this sms issue with WiFi calling. Initially had answer iPhone 7 was not supported but then they seemed to go back on that.

I noticed it mainly when not getting the access codes back by text from various websites so Then apparently another department said it must be the fault of the end companies, ie Adobe, Microsoft and gov.uk, and not a vm issue.

how hard can it be for vm to trace an example msg and see why not being presented to phone until hours later.

come on vm own up to the issue and get it sorted.

ps2mint
Dialled in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It’s definitely a VM issue. As soon as I left them and went to another provider, all texts come through as they should straight away!