Menu
derekterry
Joining in
Message 21 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: iPhone Dial Assist Problems

My device always shows my region correctly as United Kingdom. I have altered to various other regions then back to UK and it fixes the problem but only temporarily.  I've noticed that there are several different iOS levels quoted. I'm om iOS 13.2 and in the process of currently updating to 13.2.1 - forever hopeful of an Apple bug fix,  Like an earlier post I was also out of the UK when I updated iOS, in my case to 13.1

0 Kudos
Ashie2112
Joining in
Message 22 of 40
Flag for a moderator

I just joined here to say that I am having exactly the same problem with the phone number formatting. I have a new iPhone XS and have changed from EE to Virgin as of 3 weeks ago. The dial assist problem came up to start with but have sorted that thanks to the community posts above, but the phone number formatting is a regular nuisance plus it also then doesn’t sync to your contacts so any messages or phone calls just show as a phone number. I haven’t been out of the country at all. Is this just a Virgin issue? I didn’t have this problem with EE and my old iphone6.  Can I report it somewhere? 

0 Kudos
rasb0
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Todate, Apple claim it's a “Network Settings” issue however, the network service provider (in this case Virgin), claim it’s an issue created by Apple updates. 
Neither seem prepared to assist with a diagnosis, let alone a fix.

derekterry
Joining in
Message 24 of 40
Flag for a moderator

We have 2 iPhone SE's in this house, both with Virgin SIMs and both exhibited the phone number formatting problem.  One phone has not seen the problem for a couple of weeks after the the usual suggested fixes.  The second exhibits the problem several times a day.  We are now both at iOS 13.3.3 and still trying to find what is causing the issue.  Today has been problem free up to now because I have closed all Apps as soon as I finish using them in an attempt to determine if an App (s) is the cause.  Almost at the stage where I will reset then re-install.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 25 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

Can we please confirm if you've tried what @caroleanndrap has advised above to rectifying this? This includes switching the region on your phone and then switching back to the UK.

Let us know how this goes once you attempt this.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
caroleanndrap
Tuning in
Message 26 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Just thought I would add to the post from @Emily_G to say I am still running my iPhone 8 on iOS 12.4.1 as I have read some  pretty negative reviews of the  iOS 13 updates. This may or may not shed some light on why the switches between UK & Belgium worked for me but not others? 

I am certain the problem originated with the Virgin message to update settings though, even if the software running has an impact on the solution. Definitely would never update any settings whilst abroad again. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 27 of 40
Flag for a moderator

I'm almost certain this is some sort of problem caused by either how Virgin's SIMs report to the firmware or vice versa.

Surely the fact that the numbers are in the Belgian format and Virgin SIMs are programmed by Belgian Proximus (and show Proximus APN when roaming cannot be coincidental.

When the SIMs first came out early versions of Android showed the roaming symbol as if they were Belgian roaming in the UK!

Virgin and Apple need to work together on this, but what the likelihood of that happening is hard to say.

May be worth putting another network SIM into the phone and seeing if the fault clears the reappears when switching back

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Ashie2112
Joining in
Message 28 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Emily

Can confirm that I have been using the advice given ie switch phone settings language to Belgium and then back to the UK which does solve the problem. But as other people up thread have mentioned, sometimes it seems only short term and it can revert again. I've found that if I turn my phone off (as I did in the theatre the other evening), when it's turned back on again the phone number format has reverted to continental again.  Whilst I appreciate that there is a fix for it, it does seem ludicrous to keep having to do it.  My iphone operating system is up to date and I did not have this problem with EE until I switched to Virgin 3 weeks ago.

0 Kudos
derekterry
Joining in
Message 29 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Emily - I have tried everything recommended after disabling dial assist.  Up until yesterday I was changing the region up to 6 times a day.  I am currently closing every app after using it with the result to date that I only had my phone numbers wrongly formatted once.  Still early days but I am open to any NEW suggestions.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 30 of 40
Flag for a moderator

@enlli 

I can see where your coming from about the SIM's being from Belgium.

But, there are so many post over years from a Google search about this problem.  One recent from Americans having theirs keep converting to Netherlands or Norway format - really can't imagine their SIM's are from those countries?.  https://tidbits.com/2019/01/09/is-your-iphone-calling-other-countries/

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos