Menu
Arcaoroggy
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

YouTube bandwidth limit

I seem to always have an issue where I can only watch videos at 1080p 30fps or less while on data and if I try to increase the resolution or frame rate it results in the video buffering constantly.

My phone tells me the data speed (in notification bar) and I believe the bandwidth is being capped. This cap does not happen when I use the desktop version in my browser allowing me to effortlessly stream 4k 60fps video without stutter.

Why is this a thing and is there any way to remove the bandwidth cap? I'd like to actually use the data I pay for.

Screenshot_20210218-195235__01.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-195719__01.jpg

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: YouTube bandwidth limit

Hi Arcaoroggy,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your mobile data services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. We do not use caps in the sense that we cap your speed, we do have a spend cap but this is solely for financial protection. 

Can I ask what device make and model you have please? I want to see if this is something your handset is doing. 

I also think that it could be due to the WIFI channel your handset is using, 2.4ghz is for low usage on mobiles, sending pictures, streaming standard quality videos etc is perfect. But if you're wanting to stream higher quality playback, 5.0ghz may be better. I have a link here that will show you how to change your channels.

Please let me know if this helps and what device you have.

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Arcaoroggy
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am using the OnePlus 7 Pro and my testing was purely using data and not WIFI as with WiFi everything world perfectly and the data speed is not throttled

I believe this may be with YouTube doing the throttling when on mobile data although I cannot find any information on why or how to stop it

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Arcaoroggy,

Thanks for coming back to me with that information, I have one some digging and found a useful forum page in regards to this issue.

OnePlus 7 Pro Slow Data Speeds - If you can take a look and see if you can find any helpful tips, let me know if it helps.

I have also checked our data coverage checker in your area but cannot see any issues with the local masts or signals. 

Do you have another handset to test the SIM on? If it works fine then its a good indication that it may be your phone causing the issue. If it still happens on another handset then a SIM replacement may be the way forward.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Samsung S20+ on LTE Vodafone Network using YouTube App. Best available for this particular video. No buffering.

Screenshot_20210225-142612_YouTube.jpg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that Enlli 🙂 

Arcaoroggy can you try popping your phone on this setting and let me know if it helps? 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Arcaoroggy
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So I tried putting the SIM in another phone (Samsung galaxy S8) and I've had the same issue where the data speed is fine but when I tried to watch 1080p60 video (no 1440p option) it started buffering a lot which indicated that the slow data speed on YouTube exclusively was not due to my device.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Arcaoroggy,

Thanks for coming back to us after trying that. 

Can you tell me what Network/Data mode your phone is set to at the moment please? 

5G/LTE/4G/3G/2G? 

Also, do you still get the same buffering on other streaming Apps like Netflix or Prime Video? 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Arcaoroggy
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So my phone reports it as 4G+ which means it's on LTE and I don't believe I have these issues when using Netflix but I will have to go a more in depth test later today

But again the data speeds are super fast and nice except when I'm using the YouTube app

I read online that it could be Virgin routing YouTube traffic differently but there's not much I could do to probe that

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Arcaoroggy,

Thanks for your continued reply, testing your other streaming Apps will help us understand the situation better, but it may be a case that it's something the YouTube app is doing. 

We do not throttle or manage the data speeds when you use Apps, so I am not sure what other help we can offer unfortunately 😞

Please let me know what you find when using other streaming Apps, hopefully the wider community will be able to help further. 

Thanks, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos