cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won't connect to any network in Isle of Man

AdamRK78
Joining in

Just moved to IoM for work.  Downloaded all the profile settings for phone and mobile browsing.  Tried manually connecting to network(s).  Tried switching off/on after trying something new.

Phone will just not connect to any network (only has Sure and Manx Telecom).

iPhone 11 for reference.  Also had the same problem about a year ago in Jersey.  Since switching to Virgin from EE my phone just will not connect to a mobile network outside of mainland.

Any suggestions I haven't tried?

Also, my phone has been stuck on sending me new voicemail notifications for about a week now (started when I was in England) and have no voicemail messages.  Just cannot switch the bloody thing off.

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The problem with this (looking at other websites & forums) could be down to the phone firmware. Because IoM & Jersey use the same international dialling code as the UK, it does not trigger some phones to automatically go into “roaming” mode.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Nope.  Roaming is/was on.  Upgraded to IOS 16.1.1.  Have also tried resetting network settings multiple times.  Just will not connect.

Again, only had this problem since switching to Virgin (I had an older iPhone then).

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Find your SIM Toolkit and select roaming. 

Switch from Automatic to International.

The phone still thinks it is in the UK.

Beware of Roaming Costs

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-roaming-hub/The-Isle-of-Man

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ah that seems to have sorted it thanks.  Terrible signal though!

To be honest, I'm using wifi most of the time but I need finding my way around the island with Maps app as my car doesn't have satnav.

Hi Adam RK78, welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Huge thanks to the community for offering support with this one! Glad to hear you now have the service working again - sorry to hear of your signal issues though. 

You can check the coverage in your local here: Coverage checker | Virgin Media

You can find more info about activating and using your mobile SIM here. 

Let us know if the coverage is showing as fine but you still have issues so we can try to offer support!

All the best. 

Molly