Menu
johndm
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Wifi calling in airplane mode

So why does my iphone not make wifi phone calls in airplane mode?

I get call drops as I'm in a low signal area, and read that switching into airplane mode will stop the call drops as it stops the phone searching for the cell network, but I can't make phone calls when in airplane mode despite still being connected to my wifi network and internet browsing works fine.

Wife has an identical iphone on O2 which WILL make phone calls on our Virgin wifi home network.

Any help appreciated

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi calling in airplane mode

Hello

In airplane mode all form of connection is turned off, including wireless etc. You will have to manually turn the wireless back on to be able to connect to the internet.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
johndm
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

That's incorrect, as in airplane mode I can still use the web, ie I have a wifi connection but cannot make phone calls, and as I said above my wife's identical iphone on O2 is happily making calls on our Virgin wifi network in airplane mode

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hello

That is certainly strange as my iPhone also turns off wireless when airplane mode is enabled, which iPhone do you have and which version of iOS is it running.

The reason I ask which phone as currently only the following devices are support on wifi calling.

Apple: iPhone 6S, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Samsung: Samsung S9, S9+, S10, S10+, S10e, S20, S205G, S20+5G, S20Ultra5G, Note10, Note 10+ and Note 10+5G

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
johndm
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

iPhone XS on OS13.6.1

If I toggle airplane mode on/off wifi symbol stays on, cell signal is replaced with an airplane, internet still works, but try and make a call I get 'no network connection, connect to a wifi network or disable airplane mode to make a call'
Thing is I AM on a wifi network?
0 Kudos
johndm
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

And wifi calling is enabled and on
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hello

II have just double checked with the apple support pages https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204234 and it quite clearly states "With iOS 13 and iPadOS, when you turn on Airplane Mode, it turns off all radios except for Bluetooth. If you turn off Bluetooth while you're in Airplane Mode, your device will remember the next time you turn on Airplane Mode." which is what I believed to be right.

At this point it looks like there is a problem with your install of iOS 13 and I would recommend speaking to Apple.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
teabag
Hero
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Airplane mode should turn WiFi off, but  you just turn WiFi back on if needed. Maybe toggle your WiFi setting a couple of times after turning airplane mode on.

When home later and if time, I'll have a play around with wife's iPhone and see if can get WiFi calling working while in airplane mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
johndm
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Tried toggling on/off, still no joy.
The wife's iphone is also on IOS 13.6.1 and she is on a phone call right now in airplane mode?
0 Kudos
johndm
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

From the same page Mike

Use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in Airplane Mode

If the airline allows it, you can use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth while in Airplane mode. You just need to turn them on separately. On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, you can turn on Wi-Fi or Bluetooth with Control Center. Open Control Center from the Home screen and tap 

or 

. You can also go to Settings > Wi-Fi or Settings > Bluetooth. To use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on your Apple Watch, just turn off Airplane Mode. 

If you turn on Wi-Fi or Bluetooth while you're in Airplane mode, they will be on the next time you use Airplane mode, unless you turn them off while in Airplane mode.

0 Kudos