cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling has stopped working

vickieingle
Tuning in

Wifi calling worked fine until recently- I have no signal so cannot make or receive calls without it.  I have made sure i have the latest ios, turned wifi calling on and off, restarted iphone (11 max), nothing works, please help as cannot make or receive calls without it and will have to go back to 02 - which I dont want to do…. I have a BT home hub id that helps. Thank you

30 REPLIES 30

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi jlattimer,

Thanks for providing that information. I've had a look on our end, and cannot see any immediate reasons as to why you may be experiencing this problem. To clarify, does this happen in one location, or multiple, where the Wi-Fi Calling is just turning off without notice?

Does it only turn off when making an outgoing call?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi Reece, hard to know as most other locations where I use wifi also have a mobile signal, so I don't think the issue would occur as calls would just route over mobile network, whereas at home I don't have a mobile signal. I guess it's possible but given the evidence I just don't really see how it could be a problem with my wifi network. Also to test this out then next time my wifi calling goes down I would have to go and find another wifi network (which doesn't have any mobile signal) and try and connect there before calling back to ask an agent to off/on the wifi feature, which is massively time consuming. The problem affects both outgoing and incoming calls and text messages (except iMessage).

Anyway wifi calling is working right now after agent turned back on this morning so I guess I will just have to repost if/when it goes down again.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi jlattimer,

Thanks for confirming, your response was very insightful. Apologies, I didn't mean to imply that it was your Wi-Fi network that was the problem, it was more so to see if it was something on our end that was causing the quick change when leaving a Wi-Fi network range.

I've had a look on our end, and there doesn't appear to be anything specific that could be causing this - everything looks fine on our end. Please do let us know when/if this occurs again, along with an approximate date/time so we can get our Networks Team to investigate.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi, it's gone off again now - I left the house and came back and now stopped working. I wonder if it's something to do with connecting to the mobile network that is kicking off the wifi calling feature in some way?

I have been having this issue too, ever since I was asked to change my SIM card.  Wifi calling only works when I put my phone in Airplane mode, which obviously means I can't receive calls when at home (I have no signal in my home).  I really need this resolved or I will have to switch to another provider as I have no way of receiving calls at home.  I have a bt internet wifi hub, but there was no problem previously so I don't think it can be this.  If you look back through my correspondence you will see I have tried all the usual suggestions and nothing has worked - including you resetting something at your end.  This happened about a year ago and you managed to resolve so please please work your magic again or I will be switching provider.  Thank you

Hi Jlattimer, thank you for coming back to us! Really sorry to hear the problem has returned. 

Would you be able to confirm the device you are using has up to date software, and is listed here:  Set up WiFi and 4G Calling | Virgin Media Help

Let us know, and we can then offer further support! 

Thank you for your patience with us in the meantime, we appreciate this can be a frustrating experience. 

All the best! 

Molly

Hi, yes it’s iPhone 11 with OS 16.1.1

@jlattimer

You could just put your phone in airplane mode and turn your wifi on and it would have the same effect as no signal

Thank you for confirming the phone @jlattimer, the best thing to do to help with this is to send you a PM to confirm your details.

This way we can check your account to ensure everything is as it should be.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi,

Thought you might be interested to know that after continuing issues I accidentally solved this problem by solving another one:

Since switching to Virgin as well as having WiFi calling issues, all the phone numbers stored in my contacts had started appearing in weird number formats.

I followed this advice 

Re: Wrong format numbers in Iphone SOLVED

on ‎28-10-2021 20:11

@jimewan wrote:

Would be great but .... when I went to icloud etc, my preference was already set to UK and my numbers are still wrongly formatted.

Try this

• Select Settings from the Home Screen
  • Select Mobile Data
  • Select SIM Applications
  • Select Roaming
  • Select Select Mode
  • Select Manual
  • Select national
  • Reboot phone

As well as fixing the number formatting issue, it also seems to have fixed my Wifi calling issue.

Jonny