Menu
John888
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

WiFi calling

Will the Samsung S7 Edge be added to the devices able to use VoLTE? If so when is this likely to happen?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi calling

Your query title says Wifi Calling but you ask about VoLTE

Both use IMS transmitting methods but are differe

VoLTE allows you to make voice calls over the 4G network  - at present the phone has to drop back to 3G

Wifi Calling allows calls to be made over a Wifi network when the phone signal is not available

I suspect enabling on the S7 series will be a long way down the line, if at all.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
John888
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for clarifying the difference between WiFi calling and VoLTE. I understand that VoLTE can be used on a Samsung S7 on some cell networks but not on Virgin Mobiles. On reading the Virgin Media list of devices that are supported for VoLTE it suggests that others may be added in future. I take it from your reply that you think it highly unlikely that the S7 might be included in future?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You might get VoLTE when you are moved to Vodafone as they allowing it on Virgin and are at present rolling it out to their Voxi PAYG brand. It's part of their push to close 3G announced 18 months ago.

Certainly won't get it while you are on EE who keep stuff to themselves 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My sim changed to Vodafone a week ago when I changed contract, my phone isn't 5g (s9+) but that's no Biggie as I'm not in a 5g area anyway.

Regarding volte, it's not yet been provisioned on my phone. Below image from the netmonster app (phone info section)

20210212_191602.jpg

I've tested making calls, obviously on WiFi the calls go out as a WiFi call and IMS is set to registered. On 4g, it switches to 3g and IMS is unregistered.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@paulchambers061 

Have you checked the switch under Settings / Connections/ Mobile Networks.

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yep, the volte option isn't there.

Screenshot_20210212-200223_Call settings.jpg

Possibly a carrier setting that hasn't propogated to the Samsung updates. I'm on the latest firmware with Feb 21 security patches. The CSC is BTU

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Interesting. The Mr's has an S9 same firmware (Android 10) on Voxi and it's working.

Strange it's not there at all. Previously it was there but grayed out even before the latest update 

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've never seen anything relating to volte on that page. My plan refresh date is tomorrow, possibly something else will change then. If not I'll do more digging.

I'll also ask around work, if anyone has an unlocked 5g phone I can try my sim in theirs.

0 Kudos