Menu
Nickd1959
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

WiFi calling

Hi, new here to this forum so if this matter has been discussed elsewhere, apologies!

I have a new iPhone 12 from Virgin and want to use the wifi calling feature. However it allows you to make calls but not receive them or receive texts. The WiFi network is a BT service so I’m not sure if there is an issue there although BT do support it for their own phones.

is this a general problem with Virgin mobiles, or iPhones or possibly BT. My brother has a cheap Redme phone which uses a low cost provider and he has no issues with WiFi calling. So why do I have a premium service and handset and have problems?

Anyone else having this problem?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi calling

I wouldn't class virgin mobile as a premium service, it's a MVNO of EE and doesn't even have 5G

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There are plenty of posts regarding the text issue, and some regarding receiving calls, yet some have no problems at all. 

Judging by the length of time over which these have been posted don't expect a quick resolution. 

And as @jb66 says Virgin is nowhere near a premium service with many features like signal and roaming reliant on other networks 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Nickd1959.

Sorry to hear that you are having WIFI calling issues, what happens when receiving inbound calls? 

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Nickd1959
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi this is the problem. I cannot receive calls or texts using WiFi calling. I’m guessing that the term should be taken literally, it’s WiFi calling and not receiving!

people tell me that all they get is the engaged tone and I do get a brief ring then it stops and a missed call shows up. I seem to remember someone telling me that the port settings need changing on my BT router but I can’t find the information about that.

when I said Virgin was a premium service, I meant that it is a better service than the one my brother uses which is provided by Smarty and uses a cheap Redme phone. WiFi calling works perfectly on that, but not mine. Is the problem with Virgin or the iPhone 12 I have?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Smarty is an MVNO of 3. Basically they are 3. They use 3 signal and 3's core infrastructure and can respond quickly to technology changes. 3 have lead the way in WiFi Calling 

Virgin is an MVNO too but the difference is they started running their own core infrastructure three years ago. That is where many of the problems lie it seems. WiFi Calling is limited in in handsets that can use it and even those that do some have problems and it is obvious nobody knows how to fix it, going on the length of time these have been reported.

Smarty would work fine with an iPhone I'm sure, probably better than Virgin.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos