Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Calling

I have an Honor 10 lite and I used to have WiFi calling with EE, but now I've moved to Virgin mobile it is not available.

Do I need an updated SIM ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Calling

The list of phones that do WiFi calling on Virgin is limited to Samsung and iPhones at present.

No dates have been given for the addition of other models. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You’ll need one of these phones devices to use WiFi Calling:

Apple: iPhone 6S, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Samsung: Samsung S9, S9+, S10, S10+, S10e, S20, S205G, S20+5G, S20Ultra5G, Note10, Note 10+ and Note 10+5G

The other bad news is you will have lost access to 800Mhz 4G and the ability to use 4G for voice calls

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information, but I don't understand why Virgin restrict Wi-Fi calling to these 2 brands only.

My phone is obviously capable of Wi-Fi calling as it used to work with EE so there doesn't appear to be a technical reason for the restriction.

Does Virgin have some sort of special relationship with Apple and Samsung ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Frank,

Virgin have only introduced wifi calling in the past 4-6 weeks. As such they are concentrating on the most recent phones manufactured, and since Apple and Samsung  are the most popular it looks like they've concentrated on those brands. 

The message on their wifi calling page states 

If your device isn’t supported yet don’t panic, we’ll be adding WiFi Calling to more devices soon.

Wi Fi calling on mobile 

It may be worth keeping an eye on that page to see any other models/brands that are added.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There have been 2 separate posts saying people with the Huawei P30 pro got it with the latest update 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reminder enlli. I couldn't remember which model it was 🙂

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos