Menu
sajyboy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Calling on Realme 6

Hi. 

I have a Realme 6 phone with latest update on Android 10. I recently had Virgin 'enable' WiFi calling service on my account/SIM. But the option doesn't appear in settings. 

Previously I used this phone on the 3 network and WiFi calling was working fine. 

Any assistance appreciated. How does the network enable WiFi calling? How does the network restrict which devices WiFi calling works on?

sH

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Calling on Realme 6

Virgin only support wifi calling on a few popular phones, not all phones so its very unlikely it will work anytime soon

0 Kudos
sajyboy
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How does a mobile network restrict which phones it supports for WiFi calling?  My understanding is if the phone supports WiFi calling then should it not just work?  It's either enabled or not? 

Does the phone transmit as part of the calling protocol an identifier which must match one of Virgin's supported devices? 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not sure and wifi calling is implemented differently depending on the carrier.

All networks put out a proviso that it may not work on phones not bought from them and running their firmware, although my German S20+  works on Vodafone and 3. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
sajyboy
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The Virgin website states only iPhones and Samsung's latest phones are supported. This is a very limited set of supported devices. Why in 2020 are there restrictions placed on technology does not seem to make any sense whatsoever, especially with the number of manufacturers of mobile devices out there. In the old days you had a very limited number of manufacturers which made sense to restrict but these days it should be either Apple or any device with latest Android. 

I have a good understanding and experience of technology/comms/networking, I've just read the info on the implementation of WiFi calling and IP - this restriction on Virgin's part seems lazy and outdated. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

WiFi calling is new to Virgin and even now with the limited number of handsets problems pop up. 

It's not even full blown WiFi calling at present as it will drop the call when leaving WiFi coverage unlike others who will switch to either VOLTE or possibly 3G. It is unlikely this will happen until a network change at the end of next year.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks