cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling - Samsung Galaxy s10+

Irish_Dave
Joining in

Since switching to Virgin Mobile I have had nothing but problems with wifi calling.

Previously with O2, wifi calling worked perfectly. I have had WiFi calling switched on at the Virgin end however it appears that the phone requires a Virgin Mobile Signal to enable wifi calling. once enabled, as soon as the phone loses mobile network signal (not wifi signal) the phone reports 'Refreshing Sim' and the wifi calling disappears. when the phone is placed somewhere in the house that it can receive a virgin network signal, wifi calling will be restored. This is unworkable for my current location. The whole point of wifi calling is to cover locations where there is NO signal.

Does anyone know how to force the phone/sim to retain the wifi calling settings? 

8 REPLIES 8

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Irish_Dave,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some WiFi Calling issues! 

Have you taken a look at our How to Set Up WiFi Calling page to ensure that all of your settings are correct? Please be aware that our current mobile Network operator for our Mobile SIM cards is O2.

Have you taken a look at the Service Checker to see if there are any issues impacting your Mobile signal or data use? 

Are you experiencing these issues just in one location or multiple locations?

Please take a look and let us know so we can help.

Thanks! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Irish_Dave
Joining in

Yes I have done all of the above. This issue only occurs in locations with low or zero network signal.

I had the same problem, only been with Virgin for 4 weeks. Noone at all could help. All they said was everything was working their side so its a problem with my phone, speak to Apple! No, its a specific problem with Virgin wifi calling in low signal areas which is when you need wifi calling! But as they can't help I got a PAC and will be switched back to EE on Wednesday. Virgin Wifi calling is dreadful.

I figure it is something to do with the fact that Virgin piggyback on O2 and therefore their sims constantly fall off the network to avoid overcrowding

Sorry to hear of this issue @Irish_Dave.

Can you please confirm if the sim card you're using has been tested in an alternative device, when you're in an area that has little to no mobile coverage?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

It has not been tested in an alternative device but the same device worked perfectly with an O2 sim and this is the second virgin sim I have tried and both have had the same problem. The virgin sim requires a connection to the mobile network to enable WiFi calling at all times or the sim will "refresh" and the WiFi calling is disabled.

Thanks for coming back to us @Irish_Dave.

I may be worth testing this in an alternative device to see if the error continues.

Do you use Virgin Media's broadband service to help support Wi-Fi calling?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Irish_Dave
Joining in

I disagree with your premise, given that this device has already proven that it is compatible with wifi calling and that I have had two virgin sims to test it with. I should not have to find another device to know that there is a problem with your sim in my phone. Even if your sim worked in another phone it does not negate the fact that my phone worked with an O2 sim and does not work with a Virgin sim. It's not like I can just switch my handset.

With respect to the broadband service. I do not use virgin broadband. As there are plenty of users in the household with samsung handsets on other providers using wifi calling for the same reasons as me, the problem is not the internet provider either.

I think you need to look into this in greater detail given that I am definitely not the only one posting about this on your support forum. Just look at the lack of response to the customer above who left Virgin over this. turning a blind eye will not help you retain your customers.