Menu
alexnharvey
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wi-fi Calling, why doesn't it work on my device?

I switched to virgin from IDmobile a few months ago. On ID, wifi calling just worked straight out of the box, no activation. I have been surprised therefore that it is not working on Virgin. I am using an Android phone, A Xiaomi Note 9 Pro

It seems that wi-fi calling it is limited to certain devices but I cannot find a good explanation of why this is the case? Can anyone help me understand? What do Virgin need to do to enable it to work with my phone and why aren't they doing it?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wi-fi Calling, why doesn't it work on my device?

Wifi Calling systems vary between networks. ID Mobile had the advantage of being with 3 where this had been around for some time and available to all. 

Virgin are new to the game, but they have never been quick at doing things.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

alexnharvey
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanl you for replying. I am really looking for a slightly more technical explanation though, why is it that it 'just works' on most/all devices 3/ID whereas Virgin have to do it by incrementally by device?

Is there some benefit to Virgin in preventing people using it on some devices? Or is there some difficult technical process for them to enable it on other android devices, or is it more of a 'flip a switch' type thing?

Wi-fi calling really is a great benefit to me because reception is quite poor inside my home. I wish I'd not switched and am considering leaving to go back to ID now.
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've just noticed a similar debate over at Vodafone. Their WiFi Calling did not supports SMS until recent. Again it's started with Android on 10 and 11 and iPhones  running the latest iOS. Lots of phones not yet covered.

I'm told SMS over wifi is hard to implement.

Virgin definitely have a problem with some incoming SMS on WiFi Calling which they don't seem able to fix. Maybe that has slowed things up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

alexnharvey
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hmm. £16 early termination fee is too much to pay I think and I am still waiting for Virgin to honour my topcashback claim.

0 Kudos
ps2mint
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I left Virgin for ID and have been really impressed with their service. WifiCalling works straight away and SMS always come through instantly on WiFi Calling. Virgin’s texts via WiFi calling take 12 hours to appear on occasions, which is no good when it comes to using one time passcodes etc.