Menu
misterdog
Up to speed
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wi Fi calling, new SIM, Poco x3 phone

Bought a Poco X3 NFC, (superb phone) it has Wi Fi calling capability.

Spoke to a tech at Virgin who sent me a new SIM, he said it would activate automatically.

Can't get it to work, yes I have looked in the settings and rebooted the device several times. 

0 Kudos
JoeKing1VM
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi Fi calling, new SIM, Poco x3 phone

As per Virgin mobile website its state's 

You’ll need one of these devices to use 4G Calling:

Apple: iPhone SE, iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, iPhone 7, 7 Plus, iPhone 8, 8 Plus, iPhone X, XS, XS Max, XR, iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE2, iPhone 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max and 12 Mini

Samsung: Galaxy S10, S10+, S10e, Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, S20 FE, S20+ 5G, Galaxy A51, A32 5G, A42 5G, A40, A41, A50, A12, A21s, A52 5G, Note 10+, Note 10+ 5G, Note 20 5G and Note 20 Ultra 5G.

Huawei: P40

All of these devices support 4G Calling if they are bought directly from us. If you are using a device that was bought from another network, or SIM free, we cannot guarantee that it will support our 4G Calling service. If your supported device doesn’t have the 4G Calling option available, make sure you have updated the software to the latest version and reboot your device.

This many be of help for you. 

Joe

0 Kudos
misterdog
Up to speed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'd read all that thanks, though the Virgin help Tech said if the device supported Wi-Fi calling it would work automatically, with a new SIM.

Vodafone carrier, I assumed, and as they have switched to VF I assumed maybe the new carrier was smarter - fail.   

I had told him the device, though he then wanted to sell me an upgraded SIM !.

Could it be due to having an older VM Router ?

Maybe VM Wi-Fi calling is like VM email 😖 unless you pay VM for a phone 😉.

Still I've only been a VM customer for 18 years, both home and mobile. 

Oh and it's on Android 11.

0 Kudos
misterdog
Up to speed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My assumptions regarding the new VF link were incorrect.

5G arrives for Virgin Media mobile customers in 100 places across the UK thanks to Vodafone UK partnership.

Virgin Media’s mobile customers can now take advantage of 5G in 100 locations across the UK thanks to the company’s partnership with Vodafone UK, first announced in 2019.

Any Virgin Media mobile customer who upgrades to 5G will receive all of their mobile connectivity from Vodafone’s UK network. Nothing changes for new and current Virgin Media mobile customers on 4G plans whose mobile network will continue to be provided by BT/EE until 31 December 2021.

Why did the tech tell me I needed a new SIM then, I already had a purple one.

Maybe I should move to one of the 100 locations with a 5G mast and get a 5G plan.

0 Kudos
unisoft
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

See my reply from other thread here. It should work for Poco to enable VoLTE (VodaF only) and Wifi Calling (EE and VodaF)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Phone-call-no-sound/m-p/4738626

Use at your own risk so to say, but it will either do it or just ignore the key combination. Ensure you are using the Google Phone app not a custom one as doesn't work with custom apps/skins that operatis like Huwawei often use. The key combinations simply enable the UI - if it doesn't work you can still toggle it off in the Phone UI from that point. The key combinations just get the phone to forcibly expose the Ui for Wifi Calling and VoLTE options.

misterdog
Up to speed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi unisoft, thank you for an informed reply.

I have already ordered a 5G SIM from VM, so I can connect to the Vodafone network (as per the info from the Vodafone website, thank you VM). I guessed it worth a try.

I had already concluded that VM were either clueless about the issues or just not telling the whole story, as per their email fiasco (s) 🤐.

'No data was lost during the migration from Google servers to some company in the US which was then transferred to some company in Europe' -  maybe just 'shared' rather than lost 😠 the English language is a most useful tool.

I'm still baffled as to why the Virgin tech sent me a new sim, on the packet it said 4G ready so I assume only connects to the old EE network. 

" Have you read all the 'information' on the forum" - yes.

" Have you scoured the internet for clues "  -yes.

" Have you rebooted your phone several times "  - yes.

" Have you contacted VM mobile 'help'  - yes.

Has this resolved your issues...........😂

I'll keep you updated.

0 Kudos