cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why buy data add-ons?

Ruth_C
Joining in

I have run out of data and I have 10 days left in the month, I'm considering my options. I am wondering what the  advantage of buying a data add-on would be? It says off-plan data use is £3/GB and an add on is £20/3GB - if the add-on costs more why not just go off plan? What am I missing?

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Check the wording carefully.  Looks to me like the £3/GB is for "up to 1GB per day".  In that case, if you used 0.3 MB each day for ten days, then you'd be paying £3 per day, so £30 for ten days of out of plan use.  Whereas the data add on lasts until the 3GB is used or your plan refreshes, and is "only " £20.

So if you can avoid data use altogether (eg by turning mobile data off when not needed), and used exactly 1 GB on three days without going over (which either gets blocked or triggers the daily out of plan charge of £3) then that's £9 you'd pay "out of plan", compared to the easier to manage £20 add on.

It's designed this way to make the maximum money for the company - and VM aren't unusual in that sort of structure.

JoeKing1VM
Superfast

Just to add some times it works out cheaper to change your tariff depending on your budget. Every so often Virgin has a promotion deal on their sim only so it's always good to look online or even shop around elsewhere.

Just say.

Joe

Thanks for your reply, that makes sense. That may work out cheaper for me so I think I will just use off plan for now.

No point upgrading plan - I have a 2GB allowance and normally only use 0.1 - 0.5GB, but I am helping family move house and have had no wi-fi access for a week, won't be set up until Tuesday, so I am chewing through data!!