Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

When is Virgin Mobile going to have 5G?

Shouldn't we have this already? Surprised there's been no road map yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: When is Virgin Mobile going to have 5G?

Well it's complicated when you don't own the network. You have to persuade someone else to do it. Was going to be Vodafone but with Virgin and O2 merging that's in doubt.

Not much 5G about, and I can say that as I have a 5G phone with a 5G SIM in a 5G city. Round here they burn them down as soon as they are put up. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

All of the mobile network providers have launched 5G now so as an MVNO they will automatically be partnered with someone 5G capable, it's a matter of tweaking the deal to make it part of the package. With the merger the Vodafone deal has gone now.

But I take on board your point that 5G coverage is slim right now, obviously that will grow as time goes on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Took ages to get 4G and they still can't get access to all EEs frequencies 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@enlli wrote:

Well it's complicated when you don't own the network. You have to persuade someone else to do it. Was going to be Vodafone but with Virgin and O2 merging that's in doubt.

Not much 5G about, and I can say that as I have a 5G phone with a 5G SIM in a 5G city. Round here they burn them down as soon as they are put up. 

All of this. It's the nature of the beast that the network operators will want to keep the "latest & greatest" toys to themselves to an extent, and who can blame them!! Or they make additional services available but on such commercial terms that it's unviable for particular MVNOs to pay for them.

I suspect Virgin's MVNO deal with VF will now very much be pending the outcome of the proposed merger with O2.

Ultimately, if you want the newest toys, then a network operator is the place to be.

0 Kudos