Menu
mrtjaet
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

When is 5G coming to virgin mobile and will it be from EE?

Need to update my sim-free phone. When is 5G coming to virgin mobile and will it be from EE?

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: When is 5G coming to virgin mobile and will it be from EE?

no official announcement on date yet. it won't be ee. virgin's new 'partner' is vodafone.
newapollo
Hero
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To be honest nobody knows when Virgin will have a 5G mobile network, however it looks very unlikely that it will be from EE.

At the beginning of November last year it was announced that Virgin had agreed a five-year mobile deal with Vodafone for the hosting of 5G and other mobile traffic on the Vodafone network. The new Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) deal replaces the existing contract with BT Enterprise that is due to expire in late 2021. AS far as I know BT/EE don't offer 5G on any of their MVNO contracts. It was expected that there would be  an early launch for the next generation 5G services.

However....

Om May 7th 2020  Virgin Media and O2 confirmed that they’ve reached a complementary 50-50 joint venture deal to merge their respective fixed line broadband and mobile network businesses in the United Kingdom. Assuming all goes to plan and the regulators don’t raise any big concerns (not expected since both businesses are focused on different markets – fixed vs mobile) then the transaction would complete by around the middle of 2021.

So, it's anybody's guess whether VM and Vodafone will still co-operate together to bring 5G, or if it will be put on hold due to the proposed merger with O2.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
crapday
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

look how long it took them to get 4G. They where the last operators to gain it. The whole family will have 5G capable phones this Christmas, so if VM dont get their act sorted I'll be leaving as soon as my contract expires. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have a 5G phone and have access to Vodafone and 02. You are not really missing anything. The range of the new masts is quite small and will remain so until new frequencies are brought into play.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks