Menu
pb999
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

When does my new SIM expire?

I have received my new SIM at my home address.  Problem is that I'm out of the country and cannot get back for a bit due to COVID-19 and travel restrictions.  When does the new SIM expire?  Will my old SIM die at some stage?  If I get the new SIM sent to me abroad will it activate on a foreign network?  Thanks for the help - Peter

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: When does my new SIM expire?

the sim will only activate on the UK network. as for expiry it hard to say. the old sims are being deactivated so it may stop working at some point
0 Kudos
GaryB5
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Peter, in the letter I got with my new SIM card it quoted 30 days from the date on the letter, although the way Virgin is running at the moment that's not really worth the paper it's written on.

New SIMs have to be activated in the UK.

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pb999, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Sorry that there's some issues with the new SIM due to you being abroad, I can appreciate you're keen to know your options. 

So when you get the new SIM we should be advising it needs to be activated within the next 30 days, after this point it is possible your current SIM will stop working and you'll need a new one to get any service. 

As advised all SIM cards need to be activated in the UK, once this has been done it can be for forwarded to you - but this does mean you'll be without service from the time the new one is activated until you've received it.

You should be able to use the network abroad, we can double check if roaming is active for you however. 

Let me know if you'd like to have the SIM activated or sent to another UK address and I can do this via a personal message.

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos