Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

WhatsApp not running in background

Hi there I’ve tried numerous times to solve the problem I’m having by looking on Virgin forums and via customer support .....

Since I moved from EE to Virgin Mobile on sim only, using my IphoneX my Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp messages don’t come through and aren’t running in the background. To see that I have new messages, I have to go in to the app.

I have updated the APN, reset my iPhone network settings (solved in for a very short time like 1 he) , restarted my iPhone - but still no luck.

It doesn’t even work on WiFi - I am on Virgin broadband .

Please please help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: WhatsApp not running in background

Hello

This has nothing to go with the phone settings for the actual data.

Can you go into Settings - General - Background App Refresh and make sure that the Background App Refresh is turned on, and also check that the App you require to update in the background are also enabled.

If after checking that and the issue still remains, the the next step would be to contact Apple as there is nothing that VM can do too help with that.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hey thanks for that. I have done that and yes the background refresh is running . 

Apple are saying it’s something to do with the network - it seems a coincidence that I first had the problem the minute I changed mobile networks I guess...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Going back a year and half ago, there was a problem when lots were having something like this, then all went quiet - hopefully fixed.

So hope it is not the same come back 🤔

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/WhatsApp-messages-not-coming-through/m-p/3976747/...

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.