Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

WhatsApp etc.

If, during a WhatsApp chat with someone, I take and send them a photo within WhatsApp, does that count as data use or is it included as part of my unlimited texts? Is the same classification used by other mobile companies? and does it apply to video within WhatsApp?

Thanks

I'm assuming no use of wifi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: WhatsApp etc.

Hello

On the virginmedia connections any data that is sent over the internet like using WhatsApp as this sends the data over the internet then it will use the data connection and not texts. Anything you use in WhatsApp is a data connection even messages, videos, pictures etc.

It doesnt make any difference who you provider is all WhatsApp usage is data only.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you have a pay monthly SIM, What'sApp will not use your data for sending pictures, video or chats (does not include WhatsApp calls).

Data-free Messaging on WhatsApp, & Facebook Messenger & Twitter:  Standard UK messaging (video, picture, audio) does not deplete data allowance. Live video streaming & Voice & video calls excluded. 4G plans only.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply; I thought it would be too good to be true but seemed worth checking.

It's not an app I use much as I prefer to talk to the other party. Still, like Jumbo jets getting into the air, it's pretty amazing that it works - a picture, instantly being sent around the world. 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@teabag: Thanks, that's very useful to know. Can I take it that this would apply to other companies?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The free WhatsApp data usage is a Virgin thing, some others also offer it like the Voxi SIM's.

With Virgin you can send/receive chats, pictures and video's with WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and Twitter all data free, so these will not use up any of your data allowance. It is just WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger calls/video calls which are not included in the data free offer.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for the clarity.
0 Kudos