Menu
Nimbus73
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What to do for the best with Virgin PAYG ending?

Hi,

Having recently received the notification about the SIM replacement, and because my current phone was playing up, I purchased a new phone to coincide with this SIM replacement & successfully installed it earlier into the new phone.

However, I then found on this forum, talk that Virgin is going to be ending PAYG, & I just don't know what to do for the best? Ideally, if I had been told, I wouldn't have  purchased a new phone & seen what my options are here, or elsewhere. I am not sure if I can return the phone, & what about the phone credit, is that recoverable?  

It just seems a bit of a costly arse about face way of doing things & as a long-term customer, I feel quite let down to be honest. 

If anyone has any advice/suggestions, then please feel free & many thanks.

0 Kudos
Martiniere
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: What to do for the best with Virgin PAYG ending?

I am pay-as-you-go with my old Motorola clam phone and the e-mail I received from VM two days ago, informing me about the new Sim card, said my terms will continue.   I received the new Sim today and installed it without any problem and hope that I can continue with PAYG because I do not use my mobile phone very much.   The only difference is that the screen of my mobile phone is now showing T-Mobile.  I will try phoning VM tomorrow and asking why this is.  

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Nimbus73 wrote:

Hi,

Having recently received the notification about the SIM replacement, and because my current phone was playing up, I purchased a new phone to coincide with this SIM replacement & successfully installed it earlier into the new phone.

However, I then found on this forum, talk that Virgin is going to be ending PAYG, & I just don't know what to do for the best? Ideally, if I had been told, I wouldn't have  purchased a new phone & seen what my options are here, or elsewhere. I am not sure if I can return the phone, & what about the phone credit, is that recoverable?  

It just seems a bit of a costly arse about face way of doing things & as a long-term customer, I feel quite let down to be honest. 

If anyone has any advice/suggestions, then please feel free & many thanks.

Actually, if you have purchased a new phone then you are in a good position. Because it is unlocked you will have a far greater range of options if PAYG closes in the future.

There will be plenty of warning but I suspect it will now be some time away.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Nimbus73
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Actually, if you have purchased a new phone then you are in a good position. Because it is unlocked you will have a far greater range of options if PAYG closes in the future.

@enlli wrote:

The new phone is unlocked, but not a smart phone. 

I have just been chatting to sales & the lowest deal I can get is £7.00 p/m contract. I said I will get back to them when PAYG comes to an end, but was advised to take the offer now, because prices could increase when the changeover comes. I declined because I feel a bit uneasy about how things are with Virgin at the moment.

Thanks for your help though. 👍

0 Kudos
elka1951
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi enlli, you said:

"Actually, if you have purchased a new phone then you are in a good position. Because it is unlocked you will have a far greater range of options if PAYG closes in the future....There will be plenty of warning but I suspect it will now be some time away".

I managed to get some kind of answer this morning on their text messaging service about PAYG being discontinued. I asked them if they could be verify this and I eventually got a "yes" message [no other details]. I then managed to request the PAC from my online account [couldn't get this yesterday as I was blocked]. Hopefully the transfer to my new network won't be problematic 😞