Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Web site blocked when using Virgin 4g

For three weeks I haven't been able to view one website - https://www.londonstockexchange.com using Virgin 4g on my mobile. It is fine if I can connect to Wi-Fi, but otherwise just presents "Forbidden 403". My Virgin account parental control is OFF, and always has been. I have tried everything, different browsers, deleting cookies and web cache etc. I have even had London Stock Exchange look into it and they say it must be my mobile provider blocking the site. Any ideas ?

Have also just had a problem with my Co-op shopping App - won't sign me in on 4g but fine on Wi-Fi, although that may be temporary.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Web site blocked when using Virgin 4g

Hello

The  actual 403 forbidden error message is coming from the website itself, and it is more than likely that they use https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/ to check your IP addresses reputation, if you have come back as a bad reputation then I am afraid that it will be down to the website to resolve this. Or the website is blocking you for some other reason.

This could also be the reason why the Coop app isn't working as well.

Please check the reputation when connected to mobile data.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Excellent reply DJ_Shadow1966 - there is always something new to learn. But I've taken your advice, and the IP doesn't have a bad reputation.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have been reading a bit about mobile phones IP addresses - seems to be a lot of conflicting advice, but most suggest the IP address changes every time it is connected to the mobile network ? Having said that I've checked mine three times this afternoon and it has been the same twice and a little different the third time.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Today I have a completely different IP number and both problems are rectified. It seems 213.104.anything is blocked. 80.2... is ok.

How do I get a good IP number if I am blocked again ??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi folks,

I’ve just moved to virgin from three and also been experiencing issues accessing some websites such as globalplayer.com. I can’t access the London stock exchange website either. 

All of this was working perfectly fine on there and when connected to WiFi so I am a bit disappointed. The “reputation” of my phone’s IP address is fine according to the website linked above.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Welcome @Morris3 - It took me a few weeks to get the London SE to reply to me but they are looking into it. I found a site that checks I numbers with a large amount of services, and the 213.104 IP's are listed on just one. It all seems a bit of a farce since the IP numbers get allocated to different devices. I am about to jump ship, Virgin don't seem interested, and I am worried about all the problems people are having with the new SIM cards that are going unanswered.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just had a reply from London Stock Exchange -

Please note that the mentioned IP range ( 213.104 ) is listed  under untrusted IPs in AWS infrastructure. Hence, for security reasons you are not permitted to access the website while using the above IP range.

So looks like the only option is to say goodbye Virgin....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just for anyone else having problems, this is the result of the investigation by London Stock Exchange.

Please note that the mentioned IP range ( 213.104 ) is banned globally. Hence, it gets automatically flagged on the global Amazon Web Services (AWS) security system.However, we have asked our technical team to further investigate on the issue and check with the AWS  team for a possible workaround. We will revert back to you soon with an update.    Also, we would suggest you to check with your internet service provider on the globally band IP range and ask them to assign you to a different IP pool.

0 Kudos