cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak Signal Constantly

Emburrows93
Tuning in

For the last few weeks I have had really poor signal, especially inside my house. Prior to the beginning of January, it never seemed to be an issue but the last few weeks it's been really noticeable. It's gotten so bad that I can't move around my house when on a call and have to constantly put my phone on airplane mode for around 10 seconds, turn it back off and hope that it will find signal. 

Wi-fi calling sometimes isn't an option as it drops in and out.

I firstly called 789 and they advised me that it could be because of work on the 5G masts so they told me to turn off '5G auto' in my mobile data settings and change it to 4G so that my phone isn't constantly looking for 5G.

This made no change and it just seemed to be the same so I set up a chat with the Apple store to see if it could be the phone. After doing their tests, they discovered that there was nothing wrong with the phone so must be the network.

I called Virgin back and they sent me a new SIM. I activated it yesterday but it still isn't great. When I check their coverage checker, they say that 4G coverage in my postcode is 'Excellent' however I can only get 3G and only around 1 or 2 bars and that isn't consistent.

Any suggestions would be grateful!!

6 REPLIES 6

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Please post in the mobile forum, not the broadband one

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Emburrows93,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to heart your having issues with your Mobile connection in your property, Have you checked the Network recently to see if anything is showing since your last post, you can also run some further diagnostics here.

I know you said you don't think it is the phone however just to rule this out can you try your Sim card in another phone?

Regards

Paul. 

Hi Paul,

I tried the SIM in another phone this morning and signal was still the same. Is it true that Virgin are now switching to Vodafone coverage? I think this could be why. I originally switched from Vodafone due to the poor signal. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, Virgin are switching so there is a possibility that you are now on Vodafone rather than EE.

If that is the case you should be able to see 5G in your network types and be able to select VoLTE to enable voice calls to go over 5G and 4G

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I live in quite a rural area so 5G isn’t an option at the moment unfortunately 😞

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No but if it is listed as an available network type in your call settings then you are on Vodafone. That option would be missing if you are still on EE

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks