Menu
johndm
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

WIFI Calling drops calls

When using wifi calling with iPhones on Hub 3, calls frequently drop.

Research suggests if you have a weak cellular signal and are using wifi calling it's the phone trying to maintain the weak cellular signal that causes wifi calls to drop.

People suggest with airplane mode switched on that wifi calls remain stable.

Anyone else have this issue?

0 Kudos
Armand1975
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: WIFI Calling drops calls

HI Johndm

I am having exactly the same problem plus, as i am using boosters, every time i move rooms it does the same

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As Virgin have no access to calls over 4G (VoLTE) any drop in the WiFi Signal will cause the phone to drop the call. This is not a problem on the main networks. My phone on Vodafone will happily move between the two.

Not saying this is your problem but it is something to be aware of.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
johndm
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good to know it's not just me then?

I do have a very strong wifi signal, but the wifi calls just drop for no reason, even if I'm sat next to the hub.

The only advise I've been given on these forums is to buy my own router which might not even solve the issue if there is a problem with wifi calling or a software issue with the V3 hub.

I have asked for a mod to pick this up, but not had any response. I was hoping to be supplied with a V4 hub to see it that cures the problem, but in the meantime I have switched off wifi calling and gone back to a weak 4G signal which at least stays connected.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Johndm,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your WIFI calling looked into, I am sorry you're having this problem. 
I would like to ask a few questions and get you to do some things so we can try to work out what the root cause is. 
Have you done a WIFI scan with the Connect App? It will attempt to find any black spots in your home, if it does it may give you further advice on how to fix it.
I also have a link here which helps with troubleshooting Intermittent Connection, please have a look.
When a problem does occur, are there any lights on the HUB that could indicate a problem? 
I have already taken the time to look into your services on my side, but cannot see any outstanding issues. So please let me know how you get on with the information above.
Thanks,
Megan_L

0 Kudos
nwithyman
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have precisely the same problem and it seems to be widespread with Virgin, an otherwise excellent WiFi service. 

In the same way as others have reported, I've been experiencing frequent drop outs during mobile phone calls but only when such calls are routed via WiFi. No such problem exists when using only the mobile service. If I turn off the phone's WiFi connection, everything is fine!

I'm presently using a new Samsung Galaxy S 20 fe5 but I had exactly the same problem with my previous S9 phone

I'm no expert but common sense tells me that the problem is with either the router or the Virgin WiFi service - either way it really is not acceptable. On the face of it all should be okay, my broadband speed is usually around 140mbps and all other WiFi functions behave properly. It's almost as though the WiFi 'flickers', sufficient to lose a phone call but not affect any other programmes which are running.

I have now experienced multiple dropped phone calls in the same conversation which is anything between a big inconvenience to a major problem if the call is business related!

I would like this inherent problem to be properly investigated and resolved. Either by the supply of a more efficient router or an upgrade to the fibre optic network supply - or both; whatever it takes to sort this out and without any brush offs! 

0 Kudos
johndm
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I had no response from he mods on here so tried an official request/complaint for a new V4 router to see if this cured the issue, but this was also just answered with 'an apology to customer' telling me to call for assistance, but calls are never answered. or engaged.

I seem to have solved the problem by adding a wired access point and disabling the virgin router wifi.

This is a much cheaper option than buying a new router and switching the virgin router into modem mode .which was the only real advice given here.

I think customer service has been non existent and I will be switching back to BT as soon as my contract ends.

0 Kudos
johndm
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Only just seen this reply Megan, thanks but I already did all you suggested before submitting a complaint, see my previous post for my solution

regards

J

0 Kudos
johndm
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Mixed up with another thread, sorry Megan,

I bought an added a wired access point and disabled wifi on my V3 router, wifi calling now works properly.
I had requested a V4 router to see if that cured the issue, but customer service just sent an apology and told me to call which is impossible at present.

My solution would suggest there is a problem with the V3 router?

Maybe you can get me a V4 to try?

regards

J

0 Kudos
silverstreak_06
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Has anybody tried leaving the charger plugged in?  Don't the phone's operate a "smart" power saving mode, one being dropping the Rf two and fro the Wifi connection?  

I have seen calls come in and drop when sitting on the arm chair's arm, whilst looking at the telly for example, and as there is no VoLTE as pointed out previously, there is no real fix for this, unless you can manipulate the hardware?  

Thanks

0 Kudos