Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

WARNING new sims and 'invalid sim network locked and abysmal CS

Just had a major disaster caused by the new sim sent with (or without) a new contract to reduce the extortionate costs of our existing VM mobile service

We have been with virgin mobile with this phone for a couple of years

Took old VM sim out and put new one in

Got error message that sounded like a sim issue

As we are NHS and have an 86 year old mother with a heart condition and asthma, let alone all the banking/security stuff thats locked to the number/phone this was deeply concerning.

Rang VM and waited 45-50 mins for an answer and explained the new sim doesn't work and the error message - to be told that the phone is locked.

We questioned this as we had just taken a working VM sim out and put the new VM sim in as DEMANDED by VM, and have had ee, t-mob, asda, and plusnet sims working in it  as well as the last couple of years on VM mobile. (yes I now know they are all EE)

VM CS says their system says our phone which was working with the old VM sim for years is 'EE locked.

Issue 1.

Why the heck are VM sending out new sims and requiring/demanding customers fit them when VM systems SHOW they won't work?

Issue 2

VM CS said she would 'try something' to see if it fixed it - at which we pleaded that she not do anything to mess up the old sim which still worked.

When that appeared to 'not work' she said that someone from technical would ring us some time monday with an unlock code for the phone, and meanwhile there was nothing she could do.

Not so bad as at least we still had the old sim working .......

- so this 'try something' was apparently her manually activating the new sim ,

which after about an hour or so DISCONNECTS AND irrevocably DEACTIVATES the old sim

leaving you with NO SERVICE

Issue 3

After the phone with the old sim also lost its service, we spent another 45 mins in a queue, before being told:

There was a network issue

- but only after being pressed for an answer admitted the last op had actually deactivated the old sim

and that Although someone from tech MIGHT ring on Monday, they would not have the unlock code for non VM sourced handsets

Suggested the solution of 'upgrading' (cost more) our service to get a VM phone with the package (we don't want to change phone and we intended to pay less not more),

- which we declined

Then said then we could buy a cheap unlocked phone that works with the sim they sent to replace the samsung galaxy that is set up with everything we use

- which we also declined

Then that we needed to get our phone unlocked ourselves somehow to enable this replacement sim

ISSUE 4

We asked for a pac code and confirmation that there would be no exit charges from this new contract and that i wanted this raising as a formal complaint - which he resisted and said he would get a supervisor to ring at 1PM today

WHICH HAS NOT HAPPENED. So we surely cant expect the unlock code promised either.

These seem to us to be nothing more delaying tactics to get you beyond your cancellation period

The saga goes on but that will do for now

Summary

* VM send sims when their system knows it wont work

* They will disconnect your old sim manually if you ring them with the issue when they should (perhaps do) know what they are doing.

* This is all your problem

* They will deceive, and delay

* They will promise things including call backs which just won't happen - seemingly to just delay until you are locked in contract.

BEWARE

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: WARNING new sims and 'invalid sim network locked and abysmal CS

You say about a PAC code? If you move networks make sure it is on that uses EE based SIM cards. BT, ASDA, PlusNet and EE are fine....there are some others. They will work as you are which you have discovered 

Unlocking codes will be dependent on the Network from whom the phone was purchased. To a lesser extent on the age of the phone as some manufacturers have changed hands and codes may not be available 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

and now after a day chasing around trying to get a phone that will work, and unable to contact t-mobile/ee so we can access banking and urgent call services on a Sunday with a large part of the country locked down, I am exhausted ready for the 7:30AM start at the hospital tomorrow morning.

Just when you think they have become useful, Vermin make abundantly clear that they were just waiting for a chance to unexpectedly and completely ruin your day.

We will be left with little opportunity to do much else after 12 hours at the hospital for at least the next 4 days

Well done Vermin Media. You've exceeded even your historically atrocious customer dis-service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wendy444, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Really sorry about what has happened, I can assure you this ins't the level of service we aim to provide and it's disappointing to learn of instances like this. 

We can certainly have a closer look and see what has gone on, therefore I'll pop you a personal message and we can take it from there. 

I look forward to hearing back from you soon. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

and just a little update before i go to bed exhausted

The promised call yesterday never arrived

The promised call today never arrived

other half chased around today trying to get the phone unlocked, but of course all shops are shut, as is the EE office who you have to ring. Sweet fanny Adams from VM.

Tried using a borrowed phone with the new sim in to get support via the text while in hospital working and the horrendous person there would not address the problems as I could not connect to a web site to confirm the letters from my passcode due to issues with the new sim or borrowed phone I had to put it in to use, and expected me to ring in from my work in hospital and sit in a queue for god knows how long.

Utter disgrace and demonstrates what IS the quite normal dis-service you can expect from these horrendous people.

Got my pac code yesterday via text by putting the new sim in a borrowed phone

In desperation to get something working reasonably put an old asda payg sim in phone - which worked fine

Contacted asda support and got a reply and help in literally minutes compared to hours on the phone getting absolutely nowhere with Virgin Mobile. Other half dropped off and got asda credit which was quickly and easily put on the ASDA sim in my phone giving us a fully working 30 day package of minutes, texts and data for a fiver. No contract and no hassle - just working.

What a stark contrast the ASDA quality support and service is compared to the horrendous lies, problems and obstruction that VM deliver after messing up your service.

Pac given to asda and its in the process of getting my number from these horrible people. Can't happen soon enough.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This is disappointing to hear Wendy. 

I did pop you a personal message earlier to see if I could help from here but I've had no reply. 

We'd hate to see you go but if you do need anything else please reply to my message. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Everyone is busy, as you'd expect.

There's no need to be rude and resort to name calling because you feel "hard done by".

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yep

I would call

* Sending a sim that doesn't work as a compulsory replacement to a working VM sim

* Disconnected the working sim to 'resolve' that

* Promising call backs which never happen to resolve the issue

* Suggesting they buy a new phone package from VM who caused the issue

* Otherwise sending them off to sort it themselves

... I've undoubtedly missed some issues and disservice there

... Certainly qualifies as being repeatedly 'hard done by' and which IMO warrants a far stronger response that the quite restrained one given. Let alone with our heroic and overstretched NHS staff already struggling in dire circumstances.

Lets hope you and any VM staff who end up needing this NHS persons services for themselves or their loved ones in this time of need  ..  don't get the same rubbish service that they have given.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

• Hi can you tell me if virgin are going to activate this second sim card they have sent me or are they going to lift the lock off my old sim that I had for years and did not have a problem with now I can't make or receive calls I can't even phone 789. I was told to phone back when I got the second sim and they would activate it, I phoned but it was after six then phoned twice since and got cut off. I work so unable to call just have to call when I can. I can't believe your customer service is only between 9am and 6pm how is any one supposed to get through to you. What are virgin going to do to help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good Morning @PaulaAddison 

Welcome to the forums. Thank you for taking the time to reach out.

Please can you confirm for me, are you referring to the same issues as the OP? 

Kind Regards 

Zak_M

0 Kudos