Menu
mgilbert3
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Vodafone or EE

Hi,

I have a SIM only 30 day rolling contract (no 5G) and my understanding was that this was being fulfilled using part of the EE bandwidth. I can't recall the technical details, but inside the house the reception is really poor.

I understand that Virgin Mobile now is using Vodafone for new contracts (both 4G and 5G) and I use a Vodafone network for my work phone and this has good signal inside the home.

How can I find out what network I am currently using, and is it possible to request a new SIM so I can use the Vodafone network?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vodafone or EE

The easiest way is to do a manual network search. If EE shows up then you are on Vodafone, the reverse is true; if Vodafone appears you are on EE.

You can't request a change and will have to wait until you are migrated. Only other way is to take out a new contract.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

mgilbert3
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me - I've done a manual network search. The results are:

• Virgin
  • vodafone UK (forbidden)
  • O2 - UK (forbidden)
  • Virgin Mobile (forbidden)
  • 3 UK (forbidden)

The Virgin network is as per the automatically selected and the only one without the (forbidden). 

Regards

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

You are on EE. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

mgilbert3
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Enlli.
0 Kudos
mgilbert3
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I spoke to customer services and they said currently I'm not down for migration, but even when I am calls/texts will still be fulfilled by EE it is only data that will be on Vodafone.

Is that correct?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear, Virgin's clueless Customer Services again.

Virgin's contract with EE finishes at the end of this year. They have signed up to a five year deal with Vodafone from then. However, to ease things in new contracts are moving to Vodafone now and other will slowly follow.

It is not possible to have calls on one network and data on another.

Customer Services run on the basis of if they don't know the answer make one up!

0 Kudos
mgilbert3
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I thought that would be the case 🙂 I didn't like to ask if the merger with O2 would be impacting on anything.

0 Kudos