Menu
pingram
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin won't take responsibility for unlocking my phone

Hello can anyone help?

I enquired through the text service about getting my Nokia 301 phone unlocked by Virgin and after various exchanges was told they 'can't do it' and I should go back to where I bought it.  I bought the phone from Phones 4U so I can't go back to them but from looking at other shops such as carphone warehouse they do not tend to unlock.  I have tried the web unlock code request service but it came back as 'no record of phone'.  I have tried some online sites but none had codes for a Nokia 301.

I have been with Virgin for years.  I am only moving on because they no longer have a pay as you go tariff for casual users.  I have a right to move providers and I don't see why I should have to pay to do this (if I can even find someone to do it), but I am just going round in circles.  Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin won't take responsibility for unlocking my phone

Hello

Which network is it locked too, as they will be responsible to unlock it.

Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

This is taken from the Ofcom website :-

If your handset is locked you can ask your provider to unlock it for you. Phones reported as lost or stolen will not be unlocked.

Mobile providers have different policies and processes for unlocking phones. For example, some will only unlock your mobile phone after a certain period of time has passed and will charge a fee, while some will unlock your phone at any time for free. If you are on a pay monthly contract and are outside your minimum contract period, most providers will unlock your phone for free.

Some handsets can be unlocked relatively quickly, for example most providers unlock iPhones within three days. For other handsets, unlocking may take longer, particularly if your provider has to contact the handset manufacturer to get the unlocking code. This is often the case for older handsets.

Details of your provider’s handset unlocking procedure will usually be available on their website.

What if I am no longer with my provider?

You may wish to unlock your handset after you have left your provider. Most providers offer this service. as long as the request to unlock is made by the former account holder of the handset. Check your provider's website or speak to their customer service team to find out the process you need to follow.

Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK. I assume you PAYG SIM is over 2 years old (Red Colour) If so it will be locked to EE. 

Whether they can unlock your handset I'm not sure as it was produced about 6 years ago and Nokia have changed hands in that period and codes may not be available

0 Kudos
pingram
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike, it is Virgin - I wouldn't expect them to take responsibility for unlocking my phone otherwise, although I'm sure they would be a bit more proactive if I was coming to them as a customer instead of leaving.  Thanks for the Ofcom information, I didn't think of looking there - from that it looks like there is no obligation on any provider.  It's just annoying that many websites claim Virgin unlock for free, and I've seen staff posting on the forum saying they do it for free.

0 Kudos
pingram
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Enlli, thank you for posting, yes, my SIM is very old indeed, my first phone was a 3310 (original model). Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't just get an unlocked phone when I upgraded.  All this hassle is not worth the few quid's worth of discount that they gave me.  When you say 'they' in relation to unlocking the handset who do you mean?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi was thinking EE, but as it's Virgin although EE locked it's down to them.

The big but is that Nokia have changed hands twice since that model and as Virgin need to get the code from the manufacturer that may prove a challenge, if not impossible.

ASDA use EE so a sim from them may be an option

0 Kudos
Sb12332
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The old virgin media phones with the old red sims were SP locked to Virgin Mobile. Therefore you can’t use an EE sim inside them. 

Except the Nokia Android phones, all Nokia unlock codes are unique to the network that they are locked to and can be calculated by the network with a special laptop that Nokia used to supply to the networks. 

it seems strange that Virgin Media make it very hard to unlock their phones considering that they switched to the new purple sim which are not accepted in the older locked phones. 

Also after digging out old unused phones I’ve had no problem unlocking several Nokia 100 phones locked to other networks than Virgin Media. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"The old virgin media phones with the old red sims were SP locked to Virgin Mobile. Therefore you can’t use an EE sim inside them. "

Virgin do not have a network, even if they are the people that lock the phone that phone is locked to work only on the EE network or it's MNVOs. So EE, BT Plusnet, ASDA etc will work. How do I know? I've swapped enough of them for people.

Also, if you are PAYG and using your own phone Virgins responsibility ends with the SIM card. If they get you an unlock code for 3rd party phone treat it as a bonus as it is not something they are required to do that only applies to handsets supplied by them 

0 Kudos
CaroleR
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I'm a completely ignorant old lady (about phones).  I was/am a pay as you go user of Virgin..  I put in the new Virgin sim and my phone says Phone lock/and I need a password.  I've never had a password to my knowledge.

Reading your correspondence and other comments ... is this lock actually put on by Virgin ?- and not, as I thought, because of something I've done?  My phone is old  (probably ancient to you) (Samsung  GT-S3100) but it serves my simple use and now if it continues locked I shall have lost details of all my friends, relations, work contacts etc etc. 

So - is Virgin locking my phone? - whilst offering to sell me another one? and I am one of their Pay As You Go customers.

Thanks - if someone can tell me I'd be very grateful.

Carole R

Tags (1)
0 Kudos