Menu
windbag
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin supplied MobiWire Oneida - how to stop it "using the internet" & keep mobile phone service?

After the SIM-swap, my old phone would not work.

After posting here, Virgin have sent me a MobiWire Oneida handset.

For info, I am very familiar with Android tablets/apps, and access their use by tablet or PC.
I have no use for any such on this phone - all I want it for is to make receive calls and texts like the old phone.

The old phone on old SIM lasted a week between charges. 2 days after SIM-swap.
Concerned about the new unit, my initial test was just to switch on the new phone & assess battery life in "sleep" mode.
It lasted 5 days on the initial charge without my use.
Good enough, but later found it had "Used the Internet" 6 times and charged me £2 a pop for the privilege.

More posts/private messages to Virgin support, who have refunded the £12, but cannot tell me how to stop the phone "Using the Internet" without my authorisation (usually in the middle of the night)

Here are relevant bits of the latest dialogue ("their bits in quotes")
=====
They advised: "locate any apps that are downloading over data"

I asked: How am I supposed to do that? ...you guys supplied the thing loaded with your approved apps.

"We have also turned off the data from this end for you to give you time to check out your new handset and to locate any apps that are downloading over data.
In the meantime, you'll only be able to use WiFi"

"You should be able to stop any apps connecting via data via the settings menu; there should be an option to only connect using WiFi. "

I can connect via WiFi, but I can't make/receive calls that way (the option is given in the manual but is absent on the phone).
In any case, when I do go out with mobile, I need to stop the internet access when connected to the phone network.

I do know, from my usage logs, exactly when such access occurred & the data block size transferred.

The last two were:

06 Sep @04:32, 15 KB
09 Sep @03:45, 2 KB

"We are unable to see what apps used the internet"

"If you require further assistance with the use of the handset, please feel free to post to the public forum so a Community member may assist; we are not trained in all types of handsets and are not handset technicians." (my bold)
====

Hence my post here, though I think it's a bit off expecting folks here to clean up the mess that Virgin Mobile have made.

I seek advice from anyone with such a handset, to find a way to stop whatever it is from "Using the Internet""

In the meantime, my phone is powered off.
Since they "have also turned off the data from this end", I presumably need to sort out this issue & get back to them to "turn on the data from their end" ?

Until then I don't have any mobile service at all...

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin supplied MobiWire Oneida - how to stop it "using the internet" & keep mobile pho

turn off the mobile data if its on andoird
windbag
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin supplied MobiWire Oneida - how to stop it "using the internet" & keep mobile pho

Hi apcyberax/anyone else

> if its on andoird
It certainly looks like an android handset.

>turn off the mobile data
I need to decode that to something that appears in the menu structure.

I have a "mobile network settings" menu.
Under that is a "Roaming" option, "Connect to data services when roaming" - which is already switched off.
Is that what you mean ?  If so, it looks like it was off all the time...

Has anyone actually got a Virgin-supplied MobiWire Oneida handset?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

https://fccid.io/QPN-ONEIDA/User-Manual/Users-Manual-4081712

All I can find. Best get Virgin to turn off data their end, then you are safe.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
windbag
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for trying, Enli.
For some reason, that file won't download much beyond page 6 (though I can see it on screen).
I can't see it says how to establish which apps were accessing the internet without my authorisation.

>Best get Virgin to turn off data their end, then you are safe.

As per OP, they have already done this.
Do you think that means the phone will be able to make & receive calls & texts like any normal, mobile phone, but that apps on it cannot decide to "Use the Internet" ?
If so, there is no problem.

Or will it only do that while I'm in range of a WiFi I can log into, which is what I thought their advice meant ?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If Virgin have turned your data off then none of the apps will work unless you are connected to WiFi at home or a public hotspot. So there won't be data charges from Virgin

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon windbag,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums!

I'd be happy to turn the data off on the mobile account for you, if you still need assistance?

Drop a response below and either I or a member of our team will do this for you, over our PM service

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
windbag
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

>I'd be happy to turn the data off on the mobile account for you, i

For the 2nd time time: *** As per OP, they have already done this. ***

It is irritating that this probably solved the problem, but then the previous Virgin contact kept on at me to "identify which app was making the access" without giving me a clue as to how to do that.

I'm currently got the phone switched on and checking that nothing is charging me £2 when I am not asking for internet access
(as it did it on random days and times).

I'll come & post here if there is no data being charged after another week

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you're still being charged then it doesn't sound like it's been switched off correctly our end. 

Please reply to my personal message if you're still having issues and I can assist from there.

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
windbag
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well, I'm no longer getting any "using internet bills, so the "data switched off at [the Virgin] end did the trick.

Pity the second Virgin operative did not know that, and keeping me to identify which app it was (with no method to do so).

So, anyone being given a basic phone by Virgin, make sure you aren't being charged for data you are not asking for, and that Virgin stop any data at their end, which will stop the nonsense.

Signing off.

0 Kudos