Menu
Paulaz
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Virgin staff have de-activated my phone - without prior warning!

I have a pay-as-you-go phone. Everything was working normally until Virgin staff suddenly de-activated my phone without even having the decency to warn me in advance that they were going to do this. I still have a credit balance of £5.06 on my account, so I have no idea why I have been selected as a target for this inconvenience.

I am elderly and disabled, and I live alone. Without a working phone I am unable to contact anyone should an emergency arise.

Naturally I have tried to contact Virgin staff - but without success. I completed an online complaint form, but apart from the pro forma email acknowledging receipt of my complaint, I have had no response.

Naturally, I am keen to get away from Virgin and transfer to a different provider, but browsing their website I noticed the following clause:-

"Credit balances. If you’ve got a credit balance on your Pay As You Go plan, we won’t refund this if you stop using your number or you ask us for a PAC or STAC. So, make sure you’ve used any credit balance before you leave us."

Really? So how do I use my credit balance when these unpleasant people have already de-activated my phone? 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin staff have de-activated my phone - without prior warning!

Hello

You will find that this is in the T&C's it states that for a PAYG SIM to be kept active a chargeable call or text has to be made every 90 days, when did you last make a call or text ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Paulaz
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, Mike.
I don't know the exact date when I last made a call or text as (ironically) the phone won't give me access to any of my data - but it certainly wouldn't have been as long ago as 90 days, as I was using it to keep in touch with my family; arrange appointments; etc.
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello
Due to the nature of your query

I have escalated to the VM forum team, one of the VM staff will be along in this thread to have a look at it for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paulaz,

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Sorry to hear that your phone has been deactivated, I understand how frustrating this must be.

I'd like to take a look at your account and see what has happened, I am going to send you a private message now so that we can look into this further.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right hand corner 🙂

Best wishes,

Serena

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Paulaz,

Thank you for responding to my private message.

I have taken a look at your account and can confirm that your phone is showing as active on our side. Did you receive a text message saying that your phone has been deactivated? Please be careful as this might be a scam.

Please can you try to make a call to see if the call is going through and let me know what happens?

Thanks,

Serena

0 Kudos
Paulaz
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Attempted to make a call ... the screen is filled with a white square with a red "X" in the middle and the message:- "emergency calls only".

Tried calling a different number ... the same result.

Attempted to access my call log ... white square, red "X" and the message:- "not available".

Clicked on the 'messages' icon ... white square, red "X", message:- "not available". So I can't send messages or read messages that I've already received.

Tried calling the mobile from another phone ... auto-message received:- "sorry put the person you've called is not available."

So I think it's fair to say that Virgin have deactivated my phone.

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the details @Paulaz

Can you please try rebooting your handset for me and let me know how things are working after this? Leave it switched off for at least 30 seconds.

Do you have any phone signal at the moment?

Best wishes,

Serena

0 Kudos
Paulaz
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Phone signal is very good and the phone is fully charged.

I don't know what re-booting is. My brain was formed in 1949 and doesn't recognise these 2021 terms!

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the clarification @Paulaz

To reboot, switch your phone fully off, then wait 30 seconds, and then switch it back on again.

May I ask what handset model you are using?

Thanks,

Serena

0 Kudos