Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 21 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin sending a new Sim

@SleepyJohn 

You will need to get them the send the SIMs to family or friends in the UK and get them to activate them for you, and post them on

SIM cards cannot be sent outside the UK by Virgin nor can they be activated abroad.

At some point the cards you have will be deactivated and I believe there is now no way to delay that happening 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 22 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, Enlli,  but this remains a big worry because I don't have any family or friends in UK who could do that for me.   I've one in the Isle of  Man, but that's not UK.    The problem is I rely heavily on being able to receive verifying texts on my Virgin Mobile number from UK banks etc to keep those accounts up-to-date and transfer funds to support my extended stay overseas due to Covid. 

In the meantime,  anyone any idea how to stop Virgin Mobile sending me a replacement SIM after I've managed to get them to cancel the last one?   Last time I tried  789 option 4 to try and talk to them, all I could get was automated options and links.   Is pressing "Make a complaint" the only way of getting a live online chat with them?

+  John   (a senile old codger with chemotherapy-induced mental health cognitive problems)  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 23 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I can offer some update on my last week's post, although this still doesn't solve the crazy issue:

Latest is I've now received an URGENT ACTION sms saying [quote] both outgoing and receiving calls excluding 999, texts and data from this number will stop working in 10 days' time. To avoid please insert the new SIM we sent you. If you have lost or didn't receive a SIM please order one here: virginmedia.com/help/replacementsim. [/quote]
Tried entering all my details on that URL which is not easy because its postal address entry fields don't correspond to the format of my registered address with Virgin, but I did eventually manage to press its red Submit button and get a green "Form submitted successfully" indication. But then after a minute or so, back came an orange "! We're sorry, it looks like something went wrong" indication. Tried resubmitting lots of times making minor detailed adjustments on the form, but still got that same "! We're sorry, it looks like something went wrong" indication.

Calling 789 has now become possible although queues are very long. They can cancel any notified new SIMcard dispatch and put a note on file saying don't send any more, but their dumb automatic dispatch system can't read those notes and after a week or so, it posts another replacement SIM to my registered UK address anyway.

UK's Covid quarantine regs for passengers arriving back from overseas aren't looking like being lifted any time soon, so at this rate I could easily accumulate 10 or more replacement SIM packages in my UK post box before I get back . It's just crazy!

However if I can establish for certain that despite outgoing and receiving calls stopping working, receiving texts can continue indefinitely, I daresay as a compromise I could live with that. That at least would avoid me having to cancel each replacement SIM that Virgin posts out for month after month while I'm not at home.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 24 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi again. I've now received a worrying signed e-mail from Rachel Barrass, Virgin's Director of Customer Services saying
[quote] Unfortunately, as you haven’t inserted your new SIM card that we sent you recently, we will be restricting your service in 10 days' time. This means you can no longer make outgoing or receive calls (excluding 999), texts or use data from your mobile phone.[/quote]
I find this unacceptable because there's no link or anything to suggest what I can possibly do when I haven't received their replacement sims. I continue to be locked out of UK by covid quarantine regs and it could be many months before those get lifted.

Consequently I've drafted and tried sending a nice politely-worded persuasive reply back to her on the same e-mail address it came from <email@em.virginmedia.com>. I rather doubt whether this address will actually reach her though. I've seen a list of 11 alternatives that include her name in one form or another, such as <rachel.barrass@virginmedia.com>, < rachel_barrass@virginmedia.com>, <rb@virginmedia.com>, etc. etc. but have no way of knowing which of these she actually reads. Anyone in the know here about that? Is there anyone else I could usefully copy to?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 25 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hello, I don't have the problem of being in a different country from the new SIM but have a different problem.  I have a very old Nokia and when I inserted the new SIM I got asked for a restriction code.  The letter that came with the card says that this may be printed on the front of the letter but of course it wasn't (that would be too helpful).    It's impossible to ring Virgin.  I completed the on-line form twice for "sim help" without any reply.  The first time was over three weeks ago.  I don't use the 'phone very much but do want it to keep working because there are some concerns about my mother's health.  I tried to submit the Complaints form, but there was an error with it - it said my phone number wasn't 11 digits (it was) and also said my house number had to be numerals (it was).  Finally last Thursday I found the email address for the CEO, [REMOVED] , and got an email from the Executive Complaints Team [REMOVED] promising me I would get a response from a member of the Team as soon as possible - I'm still waiting.  I have just emailed again.   I've also had two warning texts now, to rub salt into the wound.  For a communications company, its communication is lousy and I am going to leave Virgin as soon as the SIM has been switched over - assuming it ever is. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 26 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mischaborris. Yes, your post resonated with me, and I'm sure there are loads more of us suffering similar situations, unable to get any meaningful dialogue going with Virgin. I hope more folk will post their stories here so we'll gain strength from numbers. With some difficulty I did eventually manage to get the Complaints form to work, and have sent two complaints in, but they say it may be 28 days before they resolve the issue which is well beyond their cutoff deadline dates
I suspect the two suggested email addresses you posted may have hit the jackpot because not long afterwards some thing or someone has edited your post and substituted "removed" in place of them. Luckily I made a note of them before that happened, and have now tried resending my original reply to Rachel Barrass to them. We'll see what happens.

For the sake of others who'd like to try, the two addresses that got removed were:
[MOD EDIT: Staff email addresses removed]
[remove the spaces and restore the @ signs].

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 27 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I will share my experience. Its beyond belief.

Old Nokia, Sim not valid. Only found out why via these community pages. One message was picked up by a moderator who offered help. Well done (I thought) I provided all MY details & it was confirmed I had passed security. I asked what to do to help my 82 yr old deaf friend (OK 2 hearing aids) who has no computer. I gave some of his details. Moderator said he would have to have his own forum profile to get help. OK, used my PC & with his authority created an account so that he can communicate his wishes.

On MY messages profile moderator confirms Nokia won't work & offers a handset, I chose one. Told it would arrive in a few days. Friend a few days after me also gets this offer & asks for the same. Two weeks later, my new phone not arrived. I contact the same mod who says she can re order but it will not be that phone, no longer available & I really don't want the others. I hang on another week on the off chance the first choice does turn up. Nope, so I send a private message to say I want a credit of my air time balance & will go elsewhere with both phone & provider.

I receive confirmation that I am to receive a cheque of £17 ish to my home address. BUT my balance is only £6.45. I go back to  the mod, this is wrong, you seem to have muddled the accounts. She replies that she is dealing with the  details that passed security (whatever that is) & as I stated I was the account holder (yes with MY details) I am impersonating another person which is a crime. What!!!!

So she picked up some of the info I gave about my friend AFTER she had said my account was up & running & & entered those in error on my messages. 

I re-sent a load of messages proving that I had provided all my personal details, that she had acknowledged them, told me my friend had to have a separate account etc - she even asked a few days later if he had got it all confirmed!. She replied that as I was not the person that she had details for she was no longer able to deal with me. I have lodged a complaint, in writing to the Swansea office. I told her I had done so & she has gone silent

Meanwhile my friends phone shows zero airtime balance so he can't use it, he has not said that is what he wants, although after  this fiasco it is. I still have my air time, I don't want it & can't take my number to a new provider to get a new phone operational. 

Took about 4 hours to copy & paste all the messages to a word document to send copy to the complaints office.

When my friend visits I will help him log on & he can send a message asking for a credit of his air time balance & see what happens, after all on his message profile the last thing he asked for was a replacement handset that has not turned up!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 28 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Mods, please could you explain Virgin's reasons behind needing to remove e-mail addresses quoted in a couple of posts above? The common factor being expressed on this thread is lack of ability to get any sort of useful or meaningful dialogue going with virginmedia on posters' individual problems, and quoting those addresses was an attempt to allow other readers here to try and see if they could reach someone in authority to help. If we're not allowed to use those addresses for whatever reason. please could we have informed suggestions here about what alternative ways are available to posters who are still stuck with their issues? These are issues that aren't covered in website help and therefore need dialogue with knowledgeable virginmedia staff
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 29 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hello SleepyJohn

Thanks for your post 

The emails were removed at it is against Forum Rules to post any personal or private information on a public Forum 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 30 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Worried by receiving multiple SMSs saying they'd posted yet another "shiny new SIM" to my UK postal address, and threatening to cut my service off within a few deadline days if I didn't SIMswap, I managed to contact 789 again on 18th Sept to try and resolve the issue, given that I'd clearly explained previously that I was stuck overseas and wasn't receiving any of their posted SIM packages.

They said don't worry because I'd already contacted them and they already had file notes about my situation on record so I wouldn't be cut off. They explained that their SMSs and reposting replacement SIM packages to my registered postal address were all part of an automated system they couldn't change. [crazy, isn't it!!]. They recommended me to ignore all this and simply call them as soon as I was back home, possibly months later.

On 22nd Sept, against another SMS saying my service would be cut off "tomorrow" (23rd Sept) if I didn't SIMswap, I was again told by 789 that there were file notes about my situation and I wouldn't be cut off.

But yesterday (24th Sept) it appears I have been cut off after all. 3 attempts to receive a verifying code text from my UK bank have just failed.

What possible options do I now have to get my service restored? I've already raised a couple of Complaint messages on the Help forum, but these are both on long delay queues.

Being locked out of UK due to Covid quarantine regs, I depend on receiving verifying code texts from my UK internet banking to send funds for maintaining my extended stay overseas until those regs get lifted.
0 Kudos