Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin sending a new Sim

Hello

1) The old SIM will stop working when you receive a text message  saying you have 7 days to swap over your SIM.

2) There will be no charges for the SIM swap, as you will continue with the same number.

3) The credit if you are on PAYG will be on the new SIM as above the number will be the same as the credit is stored on your account not on the SIM.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 12 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thank Mike, really appreciated. I failed to make myself clear, sorry. By costs I was referring to the tariff that we will all find ourselves on. I have no idea what I am on as it was years ago & I rarely use the phone, an old Nokia. It is there for odd calls & texts. I do not spend my life on the phone. If the new SIM is going to eat the credit for a few minutes a month then I will be gone. I have a couple of very elderly friends in the same position & they will have no idea of what to do. Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hello

From what you have said you have the old orignal PAYG plan, so that would be found here - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-pay-as-you-go-costs

Please beware that you have to make at least 1 chargeable call / text every 90 days to keep the SIM going otherwise you will loose the Number and Credit.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 14 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Mike, but does anyone know if that is how it will stay? Or will the new SIM be on a new tariff.

From the list of tariffs I assume it is the original one. I think I will do a test text to a friend & check the balance pre/-post. I did not know of the 90 day rule. So long ago since I read any of the T&C's its long since been forgotten. 

I have a feeling one old gent has already lost everything. I know that may sound strange but if you are at home & have hearing difficulties the mobile is the last thing you want to be involved with. Last time he tried he said there was no signal but perhaps it had been cut off.

If the new SIM has a new punitive tariff then I will have to look into the methods of getting a refund.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 15 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Excuse me, I found this discussion today, after I spent 45 mins plus with customer service.

I'm in Italy and live here, therefore I have an italian address, I've been told that I don't have to send my address and that my service will not be disrupted, even if I don't have the new sim. Can I have some clarification?

Do I need the new sim?

ps: I would like to create a virgin account and give my address, but I don't remember my "recovery word" or whatever that is, I asked if it was possible to change my word and got no answer.

I prefer writing since I can't understand english too much at the phone, any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@marmil 

You cannot have the SIM sent to an Italian address, it has to be UK

Also the SIM will require activation on the home network.

All Virgin can do is send it to family or friends in the UK who could pop it in a phone to activate it for you. They could then mail it out to you.

Will your old SIM stop working. Sadly yes as they are coming to the end of this exercise in SIM migration 

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 17 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thank you,

I guess my contract will just die then. At least I had a clear answer, thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 18 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I can not add any information re those not in UK but my new SIM has arrived. The back of the letter has a host of FAQ. Which I have scanned & attached . 

001.jpg

My main worry being the tariff & any potential change to something punitive & the answer is there. We stay as we were.

As a communications company just what was so difficult in putting these facts onto the website & pre-empting all this stress & wasted time from hundreds of worried customers? Why is it down to us to post the essential information? Really caring & helpful , not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi marmil

We as a company have sent out new sims that needed to be sent out, It is a shame and bad timing that you are currently not in the UK to receive this, 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 20 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi,  I'm in a similar situation to others overseas who are locked out of UK indefinitely due to Covid, and so I don't receive the shiny new simcard packs Virgin mobile's automatic system keep sending to my UK address while  I'm stranded in Thailand.  With some difficulty I finally got thru to customer services and had them cancel the first one,  putting a note on file saying not to send any more until I get back.   I did this to stop Virgin timing me out on that first one when I failed to change to it.  I received an urgent  text   saying it needed to be changed ASAP.     Sadly it seems  their automatic system  can't read file notes because within a fortnight, it's now saying it's posting me a replacement.   

The only way I found I could get thru to customer services at all was by pressing the "Make a complaint" button.  I felt guilty about doing that.  

How can I stop them keep posting replacement sims to me longer term without having to struggle to get thru to customer services every few weeks?    I've really no idea when quarantine lockdowns for passengers arriving from Thailand are going to be lifted,  but it could quite easily be sometime next year.  

0 Kudos