cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin monthly to O2 monthly sim swap query

angela65
On our wavelength

Hi, I've just changed my virgin media package, which included a sim, and have been moved to O2. I wanted to keep my number and was advised, whilst on the phone, that the pac code had been generated and was sorted, I didn't need to do anything, just change sims when my new one arrived. O2 sim arrived with very little information but, I switched the sim, typed 'SWAP', followed instructions and got a message saying I was good to go. The sim is working fine but I've now swapped back to my old one as I need my old number. My question is, what happens about porting my number across - will this just happen? Do I just wait until my current sim stops working then change sims? I was told my current mobile account settings would be the same for the O2 account but, whatever I do I am unable to access anything regarding the O2 mobile account, again, do I have to wait until the number has been ported before I can access the O2 online account? Thanks in advance for any help on this subject 🙂

52 REPLIES 52

4pm? It's 5pm according to the O2 website:

How long does it take to switch?

"Once you’ve given us your PAC code you’ll switch to our network within one working day (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, excluding bank holidays). If we receive your code after 5pm, you’ll switch within two working days. If you provide your PAC code at the weekend, you’ll switch on the following Tuesday. You’ll also need to be in the UK on the day your number is set to switch over."

In any case, yes, before 4pm on Wednesday - so should have been yesterday. My money is heavily on it not being today either - with a side bet on  never.

Useless company o2 - I never chose to join them. Virgin Media forced the move on me.

Can you help me, or just reply with inaccurate information? 

We can only apologise for the confusion over the times Scunnerman.

If you're port has still not come through we would need you to contact O2 directly so they can investigate what is causing the delay with the port.

You can use the link here https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus.

Kind regards Jodi. 

You asked earlier if you could help me.

Your help was to tell me to contact O2.

Thanks so much :o(

We do apologise that we could not assist you any further with this Scunnerman,

Unfortunately, we do not have access to O2 systems so we're unable to give you any further information about what has happened without you calling O2.

We understand this is not ideal, but this what you will need to do.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community.

https://19216811.bid/attwifimanager/
https://panoramacharter.ltd/

You sent me there, surprised you don't want to help. You could contact them if you wanted to - you just don't.

I am having a similar problem to another recent contributor.

I was persuaded to change from Virgin to O2 and would be able to take my number with me. When I received the confirming email it quoted a new mobile number! I have been on my Virgin mobile website and it states …..& you are taking your number with you ……

Does this mean it will all be ok when I receive my new sim?

Thanks.

Thanks for reaching out to us on the forums @johnblakemore.

I'm sorry to hear about the confusion with the SIM number.
Please ring Virgin Mobile on 0345 600 0789 and request a PAC code.
Once given, please ring O2 on 0344 809 0202 and pass them the PAC code to ensure your number has been transferred over.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

dush
On our wavelength

I had this exact issue. A special renewals team who called me from a mobile offered me a cheap price for a Gig1 renewal (£26) but forced me to port my Virgin SIM to o2. The agent hadn't done the port and instead just cancelled my number. Was just given the run around with Virgin and talked to 3 separate agents and had to go through security each time to finally get a PAC. Then another 20 mins on the phone with o2 to get it PAC'd in.

Sadly no one in customer experience seems to have implemented a process to smooth the transition.

mitch84
Fibre optic

Bumping an old thread, I’ve just changed my vm package and have been moved onto an o2 plan and should be getting a new o2 SIM card in the post.

My question is should my number from my old virgin mobile plan be ported over automatically?

When I setup the new package the vm advisor asked me for the PAC code I got over text, so I’m presuming he has done something his end. He also said I don’t need to do anything just insert new o2 SIM card and while the porting of number happens I will have a temporary number which he has told me already to use on the day.

I see different answers to this, so am I correct that I shouldn’t need to do anything if all goes to plan or do I need to phone o2 and give them pac code?

Thank you