Menu
Wellsy
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin mobile sim installed in car but no network connection

Hi, I’ve installed my Virgin SIM into my car so that I can use the vehicle as a hotspot, and the car can connect to the internet for traffic / map updates etc.

However the SIM doesn’t appear to be connecting to the network. Do I need to change any settings via Virgin to allow the data access as the sim isn’t installed in a phone? All vehicle settings appear correct and the car will connect to my iPhone if I set my phone up as a hotspot (iPhone is with a different network provider).

All help / ideas much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Hollie_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin mobile sim installed in car but no network connection

Hi there @Wellsy 

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear you've been having issues with the SIM and your car. 

I'm afraid that if this is a standard SIM you've had in your phone it wouldn't work. It would need to be a data only SIM. If the current SIM you have is one you've just taken out and is no longer suitable for your needs you have 14 days cooling off period. 

You can see more on the data only SIM here

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Wellsy
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Hollie,

that was very helpful, and I will look into your data only SIM’s.

Cheers

Steve

0 Kudos
teabag
Hero
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

A normal phone SIM should work just fine, would expect the problem is that the APN settings are not automatically downloading and will need entering manually.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos