cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin mobile service in the USA

sdu60
On our wavelength

I have been in the USA for a week and my UK mobile did not work for phone calls on local networks. Checked my phone and it uses LTE/3G on the uk virgin network without problem but not in the USA.
The note below is clear that 3G is virtually unavailable in the USA - not sure about LTE. Got some fairly useless advice from Virgin via this platform but no solution to the problem. Wifi was ok and emails functioned and probably Whats app but what's the point of a mobile if you cant make a normal phone call.
Presumably UK networks will follow the US shortly so watch out as one will need a 4 or 5 G phone.
See below for a summary of the US situation from google.

• AT&T is the first of the big three, closing its 3G network on Feb. 22, 2022.
  • Sprint, now merged with T-Mobile, closed its 3G network on May 31, 2022.
  • T-Mobile shut down its 3G service on July 1, 2022.
  • Verizon's 3G network will shut off on Dec. 31, 2022. The carrier has made it clear that "the date will not be extended again."

ps tried Verizon and could not connect.

2 REPLIES 2

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As to the UK

Vodafone UK will close down 3G by the end of 2023. EE will not be far behind. Three by the end of 2024.

O2 have not said anything as yet.

What will be needed is a phone able to do VoLTE if people don't want to drop back to 2G when making a call.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Sdu60, 

Thanks for your post on the forums, I am sorry you're having an issue with your mobile service whilst abroad in the USA. 

I can see that you've been chatting with Ryan_A and he has also PM'd you in order to help further. 

To avoid any confusion with this issue, could you please continue to chat with Ryan and reply to his PM please? 

He will try to help further once he has more information from you about your mobile service. 

Thanks,

Megan_L