Menu
aa-ltd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Virgin mobile and email address

The email address which I currently use with my pay monthly mobile account was registered back in the NTLworld days: yes, I've been a customer for that long! However, my Virgin Media home broadband account will be ending soon; though I intend keeping the mobile service. Can somebody confirm that my NTLworld email address will remain valid for use on my mobile after the home service has ended?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin mobile and email address

Hi there @aa-ltd

Welcome back to our Community and thanks for your query. If you close your cable account then this will also close your email address; in order to continue using your ntlworld email address (or indeed any email address we have provided you), you will need to have active broadband services with us. 

Once your account closes, your email address will cease within 90 days. We would advise to use this time to set up a new email account and ensure that any contacts are advised about any email address change. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
aa-ltd
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Katie.

It has answered my question, though not the outcome I wanted 😞

That being the case, there's no point in keeping the Vigin Mobile account. There are better deals around, so if I lose the email address then I might as well move.

Best regards,
David.

0 Kudos
BeardedBlunder
Dialled in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

As much as I hate Virgin's support, Are you sure you're wanting to abandon their broadband? When that's working so you don't need support it's about the best service available in the UK short of business accounts with service level guarantees at multiple times the cost.

Frankly the broadband is the only thing keeping me with their cruddy mobile phone service.
0 Kudos
aa-ltd
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi @BeardedBlunder

I've been paying £56.50 per month for VM broadband and a landline (the latter I don't use).

Nothing wrong with the performance of the broadband and haven't really had to make use of their support service so can't comment on that.

What persuaded me to change was the offer of unlimited 4G mobile broadband for £17/month from Three. It works a treat; I ran a test with 3 simultaneous HD streams running on TVs around the house flawlessly. You get a wireless router, SIM card and away you go. No installation charges either.

Obviously, you have to be within a reasonable distance of a mast, which I am, but that's it.

0 Kudos
BeardedBlunder
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I can't be more helpful, I'm only a customer, but like most ISPs I've ever heard of, they simply rent email addresses as part of the ongoing provision of internet access, & if you're not continuing to pay them the use of the address stops.

It's actually reasonably generous that they give you 90 days to make alternative arrangements & inform your contacts, rather than 30 or even less.
0 Kudos
aa-ltd
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That's all fine, it's just that I currently have a Virgin Mobile account which includes a quota of data in the monthly fee. So I'm still paying for internet access but won't be able to send or receive emails using my existing email address.

Sure I can get an alternative email for free from elsewhere (Gmail for example) but it still means changing my existing contact details; and as I've been paying good money to Virgin (and previously NTL) for both the broadband and mobile services for many years (probably 15 years) it seems a great way of saying thank you - not!

And absolutely no incentive to keep my Virgin Mobile account 🙂

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello Aa-ltd,

thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into, I am sorry to hear that you're going to be leaving us soon. 

I know it must be a daunting and hassling thought to switch providers and everything else that goes with it, so I have added our mobile store page here so you can see if we do have any good offers available before you leave us for good. 

However, if this has already happened, I truly hope you have a smooth service with your new provider 🙂

Thanks, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos
aa-ltd
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you  for the reply.

Unfortunately the offers don't solve the problem of the email address, so the hassle involved still remains. The question also remains: if I'm paying good money to Virgin for my mobile account, through which I'm able to send and receive emails, why can't Virgin let me have an email address? After all, it costs them nothing.

David.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Aa-ltd, 

thanks for your reply, I understand your predicament and I am sorry about the situation. 

You mentioned in your original post that your Virgin Media account will be ending soon, which is the service your email needs in order to stay active. Unfortunately, the media and mobile accounts are completely separate you see. 

If your media account is disconnected, your email will have 90 days before it is shut down. 

I am sorry for the frustration and confusion this may have caused. 

Thanks, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos