cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin messed up migration to O2

rajdarlo
Joining in

I have received a number of letters from Virgin over recent weeks informing me of the 'seamless' switch to O2 where I would have to do nothing. Over the last 3 weeks I have received texts on 4 occasions telling me that the 3 phones on my account would be migrated to O2 overnight and found each time that it didn't happen. After the first failure, I rang Virgin to ask why. I then spent 1.5 hours on the phone during which time I spoke to three Virgin mobile people, two O2 people and two Virgin Media people (after being wrongly transferred). The final person told me that the migration hadn't occurred because Virgin couldn't provide me with the package that I had been promised for one of the phones at O2 but that he could offer me another, inferior package. I refused this and said that I wanted the package I had been promised so he said that they would try again. I then received the further 3 texts (28/10, 31/10 and 01/11) about being switched, each one ending in failure. On Thursday 02/11 I received a text from Virgin to say that they would be closing my account on 05/11 and that I needed to ring them urgently. I rang later in the day to be told that they could not transfer my phones unless I accepted the available packages from O2. Because of the short time scale I had to accepted this and then spent 55 minutes during which I managed to set up separate transfers, including setting up separate DDs, for 2 of the phones but was told that I had to ring again to transfer the 3rd phone because Virgin could only transfer 2 phones! I rang Virgin the next day and was transferred to their sales team, which turned out to be O2, and spent 45 minutes transferring the 3rd phone, including setting up another DD. Since then I have received 27(!) emails from O2. Today 03/11 I received 3 O2 SIM cards which I have to activate and which, because it is a weekend, I won't be able to transfer my existing numbers to until Tuesday 07/11, leaving me without my usual numbers for at least 24hours.

After all this effort I am left with an overall inferior package (a total of 90GB as opposed to the 140GB promised), am on 12 month contracts and am even having to pay a small amount more. So much for Virgin's false promises that the migration would be seamless and that I wouldn't be disadvantaged in any way..

3 REPLIES 3

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @rajdarlo 

Welcome to the community forums. 

So sorry to hear of the issues you've experienced when migrating your mobiles to O2.

We are aware of some customer that are on much older legacy packages that unfortunately cannot be migrated on the same package so we can offer a new deal or the customer is free to leave to a new provider if they wanted to. If we were unable to offer a unsuitable package for you at the time there was the option to port the number to a new provider if we could not match. 

Please do let us know if you have any service issues or further concerns with your mobiles at all, we'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

rajdarlo
Joining in

Hi Carly

If that was the case, Virgin should have been aware of this after the first attempt at migration, instead of repeatedly attempting it and then leaving it until 1 working day before my account was going to be closed so that it was impossible to port my numbers in time. Why didn't Virgin send me the SIM cards that your information letters said you would send if migration wasn't possible? And why did Virgin promise that I would be better off on an O2 package? Absolutely appalling service from beginning to end that has caused me a lot of stress.

Hi @rajdarlo 

Thanks for coming back to us. 

I am sorry you feel this way. I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill