Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Virgin - complete rip off & ruined my credit rating!!!!!!

So after being tied into a virgin mobile account for 2 years with poor signal and even worse customer service, i finally got to a point where i wanted to pay off the contract. Called them and got put through to the relevant department in the UK finally!!!!! someone who could understand what i was saying . 

The guy was really helpful put me through to another guy again really helpful, i asked for the final payment to which he assured me was £90 i asked him 3 times are you sure to which he replied yes there is nothing to worry about that is the final figure . i paid the amount and went on my merry way this was in March . 

After checking my credit rating just now i could see it has gone from excellent to poor!!! in complete shock i checked and found that i had an unpaid account and surprise surprise its virgin for the amount of £27!!!! 

I called and got through to Bangladesh or wherever it is just to be hung up on, i then call the other number to which the lady informs me that yes i had paid off the handset amount but i still had £27 outstanding for air time! which at the end of that call that department should have put me back through to them to pay the rest!!! You can imagine my rage. I say to her all calls are recorded aren't they? so i want them to listen to my previous call and listen to how i asked the nice lad in the uk 3 times if that was the final amount and what he replied. She then informs me they will look into it and give me feedback in 5-7 days time. FEEBACK? No i want an answer as to why i wasn't told the exact amount i owed and why haven't they written to me to inform me of this rather than leaving it to go on for 3 months and ruin my credit rating.

For the sake of £27 which i would have paid at the time, i have now got a poor credit rating which i have worked so hard to gain an excellent rating. I am due to buy my first home next month and this has completely ruined what chance i had. 

Never ever ever will i use Virgin again!!!! I had nothing but trouble with my broadband they said i owed more money i paid it and they ended up giving me a refund as i'd over paid. Complete waste of time!!

Does anyone know how i can get my credit report sorted after this complete crock of sh*t or even who i can complain to, to get this rectified?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin - complete rip off & ruined my credit rating!!!!!!

Ok - so I work with credit reports all day long. You would have to miss 3 payments before the account defaults - so that's in effect 4 months. If you have just missed a payment then this can be sorted out very quickly provided it is not your error. However missing your credit file for 3 months is not a good idea when you are looking at such a massive purchase - you should be monitoring at least 6 months ahead and being all over any errors if they occur, but I digress. I do have to ask however.

How can you not know you had another account? The best thing to do is to pay the £27 - dispute it with Virgin and if it is their mistake they can rectify your credit report. You can also raise a dispute on your file and if needs be add a notice of correction.

A credit score is not always accurate as has no reflection of credit worthiness. it's just a score generated based on things included at the time and is only seen by the customer, and not everything is included at the time the score is generated. Someone with a 999/700 score can still be refused credit. There are many factors which determine this such as overall amount of debt - credit utilisation, repayment history, time on electoral role and other factors - any CIFAS and other agency info - and most of all - how much you earn and your outgoings.

It is possible to have a Mortgage 1 day out of Bankruptcy, which is the worst thing that can happen for 6 years of a credit file's cycle - 1 missed mobile phone bill will have 0 effect.

Fun fact, A default, whether satisfied or not, has no bearing on a lenders decision once it has reached 3 years of maturity - not that I encourage people to default, but if you do all is not lost.

So don't panic, pay it and then work it all out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin - complete rip off & ruined my credit rating!!!!!!

Hi

Thanks for your comment. That is really helpful information to know. As I’m not savvy with financial matters that has helped me a great deal  

Although I didn’t have another account that is my point. When I called them to pay off the account completely and asked for a full settlement figure they told me it was £90! I asked the guy 3 times if that was all as I’d been here before with virgin and he assured me that was all. So I paid it only to find out that I still owed £27 of that account through my credit report. 

Yes I should of been on top of looking at my scores, but as I pay over my monthly payments on all my accounts I ASSUMED (silly me) that all would be ok. 

If Virgin would of written to me, emailed me or even called me I could of paid the outstanding balance there and then and it would not have gotten this far. But I’ve had no correspondence from them whatsoever. 

When I called to complain I was not given the option to pay the outstanding amount I was just told they would come back to me within 5-7 days with feedback. It’s the 8th day now and no “feedback”. I have text and emailed again but still heard nothing. 

And to be honest I don’t see why I should pay for something that I was assured wasn’t there but if it means my credit rating gets rectified then that’s what I will do. 

Its easy to say don’t panic but when I have worked so hard to get all my finances in order and I have anxiety this has had me worried all week. 

Never again will I go near a virgin product 

0 Kudos