Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Unlimited Sim tethered to laptop. Average mbps 55+ but why lagging while gaming?!

Why am I getting so much lag when trying to play any games using my unlimited sim in my OnePlus phone tethered to my laptop? 

I am getting over 55+ mbps but noticed my upload speed is terrible. Why is this? 

I specifically choose this company and this deal in order to play games as well as work remotely in Spain. I live across the road from the cell tower and have everything set up in my villa.

I get the speeds show as I have stated reasonably decent but when gaming it's unplayable and I would like this to be resolved please.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Unlimited Sim tethered to laptop. Average mbps 55+ but why lagging while gaming?!

thats normal for mobile connections

but if you are in Spain are you a Virgin Media UK customer?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Unlimited Sim tethered to laptop. Average mbps 55+ but why lagging while gaming?!

I believe (though not 100% sure) that your connection gets routed via the operator's home country. So if you're in Spain, your data has an extra 500-1000 miles (depending on where you are) to travel in each direction before it gets to where it's meant to be going. That's probably going to be the main source of your latency, although as apcyberax says, mobiles have worse latency than landlines anyway

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Also, you wont have unlimited data. A roaming fair usage policy will apply. There is a calculator, but it seems to be down at the moment.

Also, you cannot use a UK phone in another country permanently, there is a rolling 4 month usage policy that states in any 4 month period you must use it in the UK more than abroad.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It's never unlimited as you can only use your UK allowance of minutes, texts and data subject to FUP.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos