Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin New Sim Won't Work on my Phone

Hi I'm new here!

I've just received the new Virgin Sim yesterday morning......... then my nightmare began.   I popped it into my phone (Sony Xperia T) following all the instructions given and NOTHING.  I couldn't get the network to accept the sim. On phoning Virgin Customers Services the helpful lady said " no worries I'll just activate your new sim for you, leave it for 10 minutes and turn your phone back on"  

Thirty minutes later, turned the phone back on and again NOTHING.   To make matters worse my old sim was then cut off from the network, so I'm now without a mobile. 

I'm a diabetic pensioner and my phone is often my lifeline.  I'm presently fearful of leaving the house in case I have a hypo and have no way to contact my family as my phone is dead.

To cut a very long story short, after phone calls to Virgin it transpired that my phone (which I've been using for a good while on the Virgin service) cannot now be used, this phone belonged to my son which he used on T Mobile, he phoned EE and they cannot find it anywhere on his account.

My last phone call with Virgin Complaints an hour ago left me upset and astonished, they have given me a £20 credit to my account, which I was informed would buy me a replacement phone.  I replied I would like a phone that was similar to my own, a basic android smartphone (nothing fancy)  The ladies reply was "well if you want a HIGH END phone I can put you on a contract with us"  This would have cost me more money, which I'm afraid at the moment I'm unwilling to give to Virgin.

I'm abolutely astonished that Virgin can just implement upgrades to their systems with little or no regard to long standing customers.   I know my phone is old but I'm happy with it as it does all that I need.

Am I being unreasonable to expect Virgin to sort this out for me?   

At the end of the day the they should have been able to forsee the problem with hardware not being compatible with their new service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin New Sim Won't Work on my Phone

Yes the old SIM cards were EE based. Locked phones on the EE / Orange / T-Mobile networks would work quite happily. However, the new SIM cards are Virgin's own and will not. The new cards are needed to take things forward and for when the old SIMs will cease to work.

Sadly, only the network that did the locking can get the necessary codes. This sometimes proves problematic with older models, and with T-Mobile being absorbed by EE some years ago only adds more confusion to the mix.

If you really want to stick with this phone your options are 1. Push EE again. 2. See is a mobile repair shop can do an unofficial unlock. 3. Move networks to an EE based network such as Plusnet or ASDA.

Sorry not to be more helpful, just relaying facts as they stand.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I've got the same problem.
I got nowhere with customer services for nearly 3 hours and then was uncermoniously dumped from the conversation when no manager was available and couldn't even cancel my contract.
Customer service is dreadful and I'm now left without a phone for God knows how long.
Looking back at previous posts they have been aware of the problem for at least 2 years and still don't know what they are doing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ianhutchings, 

Thank you for your post 🙂 

I am sorry to hear you have had issues with your mobile, we did have an outage with our mobile network but this has been resolved can you confirm if your sim is now working, if not I am happy to take a look into your account for you. 

Thanks

Zoie 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi did you ever get this sorted because I'm actually in the same boat after 2 months !

0 Kudos