cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Mobile switching to O2 - "What changes will I see?"

HmmmUK
Up to speed

Hi all,
I don't visit the forum very often - but do pop in every now and again to take a look at on-going bits.
A family member got caught out when PAYG stopped as they didn't receive any notification - so I now look at the forum for news like this.

It looks like the switch to O2 is getting a few mentions...
I hadn't realised this had started - but looking at some posts it looks like it has.

Can anyone say how I will know if I've switched to O2? Will the phone still show as 'Virgin'?

I've found this info: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/your-move-to-o2
It mentions getting "unlimited data" - that sounds good - any catches, is it for real???

Thanks.

25 REPLIES 25

cje85
Trouble shooter

@enlli wrote:

The network has been clogged for years, but yes, adding 3 million Virgin Subscribers has thrown it over the edge. 

O2 lack bandwidth (locally O2 offer 10MB whilst Vodafone offer 25MB) Lots of areas showing congestion and the number is growing. 

It will take a massive effort to sort it out and I don't believe there is the will to do so

O2 is a very poor network and frequently comes last in tests (here's the latest: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/01/rootmetrics-benchmark-the-top-uk-mobile-networks-for-h... ) but it has more customers than any other network. Lots of people either don't know that other networks are better or just don't care, so there's not much reason for O2 to spend the money needed on upgrading the network.

Thanks I'll give them a call. A shame I can't just select the plan from my account to make things simple though...

This is all news to me.

why do virgin never tell their customers what is going on. 
Got switched from EE to  Vodafone and then O2 without any warning.

Do we all need new SIM cards?

Hello @Lester61,

In February 2023, we'll start contacting Virgin Mobile customers who'll be the first to move over to O2 mobile plans, and the switch will happen in March 2023.

We have some more info here

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks Ayisha

Do you know if O2 support Wi-Fi calling as the reception is very poor where I live and currently I can only make calls via Wi-Fi.

Thank you..,

WiFi calling is supported, yes. 

You can find out more here

If I can help with anything else, let me know.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Lester61 wrote:

Thanks Ayisha

Do you know if O2 support Wi-Fi calling as the reception is very poor where I live and currently I can only make calls via Wi-Fi.

Thank you..,

Although you were referred to the Virgin pages I can confirm O2 do support WiFi Calling

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

My bad! Here you go - https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling

Thanks enlli 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

👍🏻

Thanks everyone for your assistance. 

Pleasure 😊

If you need anything else, let us know!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team