Menu
mssedin
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile stops working in power outage?

About 80,000 of us in South Edinburgh had a 40 minute power outage last night.  I noticed my mobile signal was lost too. 

Should I assme the VM Mobile network has no backup power supply capability to its masts.  Too costly?

Doesn't feel very robust as a mobile network.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
mssedin
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Mobile stops working in power outage?

Reading up on this further, I see "Virgin Media supplies this power from its street cabinets and BT from its exchanges, the former typically having batteries capable of maintaining service for several hours, and the latter's back-up power typically sufficient for power cuts lasting several days or more." 

Now does that cover IP signal or is it just for fixed-line VM phones?

If had a home UPS for my VM router; and I kept that powered up at least; I could have maintained my WIFI network and therefore IP phone capability at least - right?  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin does not have a mobile network. They are reliant on EE in the main although the move to Vodafone has just started. 

What those networks do over back up power you would ask to ask them

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Mobile masts generally don't have back up power.

Some on EE (and therefore Virgin Mobile, until it transfers to Vodafone) do have battery and generator back up, but these are typically masts in rural areas which are used by the ESN (Emergency Service Network) so it is vital they stay online.

mssedin
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Understood thanks enlli.  I'm thinking it would be a better bet to see if its possible to maintain my IP/VOIP connection for an hour than to expect mobile networks to be robust.  I found Ofcom guidance from 2018 stating:

In December 2011, Ofcom published revised guidelines on how providers supplying voice services over Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) networks could meet the requirements of the General Conditions (the 2011 Guidance).5 The 2011 Guidance consisted of three principles which applied to both new-build and ‘overlay’ FTTP deployments:

1. A battery back-up should always be provided to support publicly available telephone services (PATS) provided over FTTP.
  2. The minimum duration of the back-up facility should be 1 hour.
  3. Providers should take appropriate steps to ensure that the needs of consumers requiring additional protection, and who depend on 999/112 to a greater extent than the majority of the population, are addressed.

Hence I was hoping a VM person would explain if the current cable/IP nerwork (and fiber perhaps) into my router should give me that.   I'm wondering if I should go to the additional expense of buying a UPS to keep the router alive for 1 hour since the mobile networks are obviously so unreliable.  Is fibre improving this robustness?  Just wondering...

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@cje85 wrote:

Mobile masts generally don't have back up power.

Major sites often do, microcells and infill sites not so.

It all depends on the amount of space at site for the additional kit, the impact of that site failing, and the cost/benefit trade-off.

You're right to mention the additional requirement with EE's ESN sites, these can also often be VoLTE-only.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

With regards to fibre / broadband you would be best asking in that section of the forum where there will be people with more knowledge on that issue.

paul0363
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you have a VM phone line that is supplied via the Hub then you'll need to either have a mobile signal (on any network to make emergency calls only) or a UPS to keep the hub alive during a power outage.  They will supply you with a device to allow you to make emergency calls (that's all that is required, not full service) if you're in a vulnerable group.

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

Page 19:

918Please read below carefully.If there's a power cut or network outage, you won't be able to make or receive calls.If you have accessibility needs, call us on 0345 454 1111 and we'll send an engineer to provide an Emergency Backup device at no extra cost that allows 999 calls during outages.Any devices connected to your phone, such as care, fire or burglar alarms will stop working if there's a power or network outageSome connected devices might not be compatible with our fibre phone line please check with the device manufacturer.Devices connected to extension wiring and sockets will stop working after your phone service has been switched. Please keep the Hub switched on 24/7, even overnight, or you won't be able to make or receive calls

0 Kudos